Triple/saddle strike on broadstruck cent

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 4, 2011
      I didn't get shut out completely in the several auctions I bid on tonight. I was happy to come away with a saddle strike on broadstruck 1981 cent.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150705156078

      I suppose the toning and the fact that both off-center strike were uniface turned off some potential bidders. But I'm still surprised it didn't bring a higher price. Naturally, the expanded diameter of the broadstrike made it more likely that it would straddle the gap between two adjacent striking chambers.
    • innff@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 5, 2011
        I think that the words "improperly cleaned" may have scared a few people off. Still, it is a nice example of a triple struck coin.

        In a message dated 12/4/2011 11:12:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, mdia1@... writes:

        I didn't get shut out completely in the several auctions I bid on tonight. I was happy to come away with a saddle strike on broadstruck 1981 cent.

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150705156078

        I suppose the toning and the fact that both off-center strike were uniface turned off some potential bidders. But I'm still surprised it didn't bring a higher price. Naturally, the expanded diameter of the broadstrike made it more likely that it would straddle the gap between two adjacent striking chambers.

      • Rob Risi
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 5, 2011
          Very low price, even with the cleaning....A nice error nevertheless.

          ~ROB RISI~

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 5, 2011
              I don't see any indication in the photo of cleaning, improper or otherwise. I wouldn't put it past this grading service to disparage a coin with perfectly natural toning. I've long ago learned to treat anything I read on slab label with a heavy dose of skepticism.

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 5, 2011
                You don't often see broken hub or broken punch varieties. Nice pickup for pocket change.

                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, innff@... wrote:

                > Speaking of auctions, I was able to win this 1918 Germany 1/2 mark with die
                > clash and broken hub; the 8 digit in the date is missing its top. Mostly
                > all of these 1/2 Marks were melted down after WW I for their silver content.
                > I won the bid at $0.99.
                > And while I am here, is this a lamination error? The coin is 2002P Indiana
                > quarter
                >

                > In a message dated 12/4/2011 11:12:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                > mdia1@... writes:
                >

                > I didn't get shut out completely in the several auctions I bid on tonight.
                > I was happy to come away with a saddle strike on broadstruck 1981 cent.
                >
                > _http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150705156078_
                > (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150705156078)
                >
                > I suppose the toning and the fact that both off-center strike were uniface
                > turned off some potential bidders. But I'm still surprised it didn't bring
                > a higher price. Naturally, the expanded diameter of the broadstrike made
                > it more likely that it would straddle the gap between two adjacent striking
                > chambers.

              • Rob Risi
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 5, 2011
                  Although i kinda like NGC as to their holders, but they basically bitch about every little thing and won't "grade" such errors with a counting wheel skid let alone a really light well blended in mark.....or a slight rim bump/etc, where as pcgs is much more leniant.

                  ~ROB RISI~

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 5, 2011
                    The picture is decidedly mixed on this, Rob. I've seen many scraped, scratched, gouged, bent, and crumpled error coins given lofty mint-state grades by the various grading services. At the same time, I've seen quite a few unblemished error coins given AU grades.

                    Basically it's a crapshoot what kind of grade you'll end up with when you submit a coin. One should never rely on the grade printed on a slab label to provide an indication as to a coin's condition.

                    --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

                    > Although i kinda like NGC as to their holders, but they basically bitch about every little thing and won't "grade" such errors with a counting wheel skid let alone a really light well blended in mark.....or a slight rim bump/etc, where as pcgs is much more leniant.
                    >

                    > ~ROB RISI~

                    > ________________________________

                  • Rob Risi
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 5, 2011
                      Agreed....like some coins that have an MS61 or 62 grade that looks MS64 or 65.....if i like the coins eye appeal i don't care what the numerical grade indicates, but some buyers do when it comes time to resell, they bitch and moan on prices, and many of times cracking such coins out is a better idea and to sell them raw. I once got 4 off center 1964 silver dimes back from NGC and all came back with different grades from MS63-65, well 2 were the same and literally the 63 grade looked better than the 65! and the 64 looked so-so and i think they got mixed up, and certain errors i feel are 64-65's come back 62 or 63 and vice-versa....But in general i'm usually satisfied, as i don't submit too often, maybe 1-2 times a year, and awaiting the return of 16 errors from NGC in 7-10 days or so, and as always, anxious to see their grades. It's like getting new coins in?

                      ~ROB RISI~

                      The picture is decidedly mixed on this, Rob. I've seen many scraped, scratched, gouged, bent, and crumpled error coins given lofty mint-state grades by the various grading services. At the same time, I've seen quite a few unblemished error coins given AU grades.

                      Basically it's a crapshoot what kind of grade you'll end up with when you submit a coin. One should never rely on the grade printed on a slab label to provide an indication as to a coin's condition.

                      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

                      > Although i kinda like NGC as to their holders, but they basically bitch about every little thing and won't "grade" such errors with a counting wheel skid let alone a really light well blended in mark.....or a slight rim bump/etc, where as pcgs is much more leniant.
                      >

                      > ~ROB RISI~

                      > ________________________________

                    • Jon P. Sullivan
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 7, 2011
                        I bet the coin will have purple toning on it-it looks like that kind of toning from the photos, and purple toning would indicate that it's most likely dipped or cleaned in some way.

                        Jon

                        On Dec 5, 2011, at 8:41 AM, Mike Diamond wrote:

                        I don't see any indication in the photo of cleaning, improper or otherwise. I wouldn't put it past this grading service to disparage a coin with perfectly natural toning. I've long ago learned to treat anything I read on slab label with a heavy dose of skepticism.

                        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

                        > Very low price, even with the cleaning....A nice error nevertheless.
                        >
                        > > ~ROB RISI~
                        > ________________________________

                        Sullivan Numismatics
                        Your Source for Quality Errors & Varieties

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 7, 2011
                          I wasn't aware that purple toning was a reliable indicator of an old dipping. I've got a number of purple-toned cents and they look rather attractive. I will file this information away for future use.

                          I'm curious whether you've personally seen dipped coins turn this color over time.

                          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jon P. Sullivan" <snumismatics@...> wrote:

                          > I bet the coin will have purple toning on it-it looks like that kind of toning from the photos, and purple toning would indicate that it's most likely dipped or cleaned in some way.
                          >
                          > Jon
                          >

                          > On Dec 5, 2011, at 8:41 AM, Mike Diamond wrote:
                          >
                          > > I don't see any indication in the photo of cleaning, improper or otherwise. I wouldn't put it past this grading service to disparage a coin with perfectly natural toning. I've long ago learned to treat anything I read on slab label with a heavy dose of skepticism.
                          > >
                          > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Very low price, even with the cleaning....A nice error nevertheless.

                          > > > ________________________________

                        • Michael Evanchik
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 8, 2011
                            me too as i have a beautiful triple struck cent in an ngc holder that has deep electric purple toning and looks quite natural to me.will post some photos later.mike e.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 9, 2011
                              It can be purple and be natural, but dipping and other cleaning methods often turn cents some version of purple (although obviously there are other colors they turn as well, but purple is pretty common.) An to answer your question, yes, I've personally turned coins a version of purple whilst dipping them.

                              Jon

                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 10, 2011
                                I have the cent. There is no purple toning. There is only natural brown toning. The coin shows no evidence of dipping or polishing. It appears to be uncirculated, probably MS-64.

                                As I hoped, NGC completely blew it. I will crack it out of its slab as that only diminishes its value.

                                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jon P. Sullivan" <snumismatics@...> wrote:

                                > It can be purple and be natural, but dipping and other cleaning methods often turn cents some version of purple (although obviously there are other colors they turn as well, but purple is pretty common.) An to answer your question, yes, I've personally turned coins a version of purple whilst dipping them.
                                >
                                > Jon
                                >

                                > On Dec 7, 2011, at 10:31 PM, Mike Diamond wrote:
                                >
                                > > I wasn't aware that purple toning was a reliable indicator of an old dipping. I've got a number of purple-toned cents and they look rather attractive. I will file this information away for future use.
                                > >
                                > > I'm curious whether you've personally seen dipped coins turn this color over time.
                                > >
                                > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jon P. Sullivan" <snumismatics@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I bet the coin will have purple toning on it-it looks like that kind of toning from the photos, and purple toning would indicate that it's most likely dipped or cleaned in some way.
                                > > >
                                > > > Jon

                              • colonialjohn
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 18, 2011
                                  Seems reasonable any oxidized forms of Cu & Zn are not purple. If you dip copper with primary or secondary solvents such as methanol, isopropyl alcohol it DOES leave a purple sheen on the coins more often than not ... FYI ... JPL.