Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Double capped die strike?

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
      Perhaps brockage is not the correct term. Maybe 'outline of the memorial building' is better. I can clearly see, maybe from an earlier cap clash, the horizontal outline of the building going through Abe's eye, and again horizoltally just abobe the date.

      Or at least I think I see something.
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
        I recognize the phenomenon you're describing. Sometimes you see in a generic capped die strike a vague incuse ghost of the top and bottom margins of the Memorial. I don't know what causes it, but it's fairly common and it's not a brockage.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc" <numismistake@...> wrote:

        > Perhaps brockage is not the correct term. Maybe 'outline of the memorial building' is better. I can clearly see, maybe from an earlier cap clash, the horizontal outline of the building going through Abe's eye, and again horizoltally just abobe the date.
        >
        > Or at least I think I see something.

      • Jon P. Sullivan
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2011
          I agree with Mike: late stage die cap strike & a partial indent. Not a common combination-neat coin!

          Jon

          On Dec 3, 2011, at 5:22 PM, Mike Diamond wrote:

          I really don't see a brockage of the Memorial anywhere on the coin, certainly not in the indented area.

          This looks like a straightforward case of a coin being struck through a late-stage die cap and simultaneously indented by an intrusive planchet.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc" <numismistake@...> wrote:

          > I had thought of a pre-emptive strike on the cap on the previous strike. However, this coin should have obliterated that design on the cap face when this strike occurred..or at least most of the design.
          >
          > I have a feeling that there were 3 coins in the die chamber at strike, this coin, an intruding planchet (which recieved an off center capped die strike), and the coin that is still thinly late-stage capping the die. Could that strike pressure force the capped die strike to show through the indenting & interceding planchet?

          Sullivan Numismatics
          Your Source for Quality Errors & Varieties

        • Michael Evanchik
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2011
            I agree with mike 100%.i bid 75 on this thinking it would be plenty enough to win it and i bid that beleiving it was simply a capped die strike with an indent from a second planchet.a very neat error but pretty straightfoward.regards,mike e.

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2011
              Here's an even better example that just sold on eBay.

              http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Penny-Error-Backage-Straight-Edge-/380389469636?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item5890faadc4

              It's a more desirable specimen as the area not covered by the intrusive planchet carries an early-stage brockage. I'm not sure what caused the crease in the floor of the indent.

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 4, 2011
                Nice coin!

                Jon
                On Dec 4, 2011, at 4:20 PM, Mike Diamond wrote:

                Here's an even better example that just sold on eBay.

                http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Penny-Error-Backage-Straight-Edge-/380389469636?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item5890faadc4

                It's a more desirable specimen as the area not covered by the intrusive planchet carries an early-stage brockage. I'm not sure what caused the crease in the floor of the indent.

                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Michael Evanchik <ivan0000013@...> wrote:

                > I agree with mike 100%.i bid 75 on this thinking it would be plenty enough to win it and i bid that beleiving it was simply a capped die strike with an indent from a second planchet.a very neat error but pretty straightfoward.regards,mike e.

              • jeff ylitalo
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2011
                  I love IT-!