Double capped die strike?

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
      This coin was listed as a double capped die strike.

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/150707004994?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

      It is a late stage capped die strike, as the date bleeds through. It appear that there in a continuation of the memorial brockage from the cap face across this entire coin. The indent does not appear to be a 2nd strike, as the only picture of the reverse shown, when enlarged, shows no sign of the coin being double struck..not even a flange shows. The imprint of a thinly spread protorim rather that a wide cap wall is sharp and distinct. This might suggest that a capped die coin was indented by a blank (on one strike) which is what I thought. But it doesn't explain the extent of the entire coin showing those memorial brockage remains. Even steps show within the indented area when magnified. What am I missing here? (besides the coin)

      Sorry not to have won it.
    • innff@aol.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
          I had thought of a pre-emptive strike on the cap on the previous strike. However, this coin should have obliterated that design on the cap face when this strike occurred..or at least most of the design.

          I have a feeling that there were 3 coins in the die chamber at strike, this coin, an intruding planchet (which recieved an off center capped die strike), and the coin that is still thinly late-stage capping the die. Could that strike pressure force the capped die strike to show through the indenting & interceding planchet?
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
            I really don't see a brockage of the Memorial anywhere on the coin, certainly not in the indented area.

            This looks like a straightforward case of a coin being struck through a late-stage die cap and simultaneously indented by an intrusive planchet.

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
              Perhaps brockage is not the correct term. Maybe 'outline of the memorial building' is better. I can clearly see, maybe from an earlier cap clash, the horizontal outline of the building going through Abe's eye, and again horizoltally just abobe the date.

              Or at least I think I see something.
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
                I recognize the phenomenon you're describing. Sometimes you see in a generic capped die strike a vague incuse ghost of the top and bottom margins of the Memorial. I don't know what causes it, but it's fairly common and it's not a brockage.

                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc" <numismistake@...> wrote:

                > Perhaps brockage is not the correct term. Maybe 'outline of the memorial building' is better. I can clearly see, maybe from an earlier cap clash, the horizontal outline of the building going through Abe's eye, and again horizoltally just abobe the date.
                >
                > Or at least I think I see something.

              • Jon P. Sullivan
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2011
                  I agree with Mike: late stage die cap strike & a partial indent. Not a common combination-neat coin!

                  Jon

                  On Dec 3, 2011, at 5:22 PM, Mike Diamond wrote:

                  I really don't see a brockage of the Memorial anywhere on the coin, certainly not in the indented area.

                  This looks like a straightforward case of a coin being struck through a late-stage die cap and simultaneously indented by an intrusive planchet.

                  --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc" <numismistake@...> wrote:

                  > I had thought of a pre-emptive strike on the cap on the previous strike. However, this coin should have obliterated that design on the cap face when this strike occurred..or at least most of the design.
                  >
                  > I have a feeling that there were 3 coins in the die chamber at strike, this coin, an intruding planchet (which recieved an off center capped die strike), and the coin that is still thinly late-stage capping the die. Could that strike pressure force the capped die strike to show through the indenting & interceding planchet?

                  Sullivan Numismatics
                  Your Source for Quality Errors & Varieties

                • Michael Evanchik
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 4, 2011
                    I agree with mike 100%.i bid 75 on this thinking it would be plenty enough to win it and i bid that beleiving it was simply a capped die strike with an indent from a second planchet.a very neat error but pretty straightfoward.regards,mike e.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 4, 2011
                      Here's an even better example that just sold on eBay.

                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Penny-Error-Backage-Straight-Edge-/380389469636?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item5890faadc4

                      It's a more desirable specimen as the area not covered by the intrusive planchet carries an early-stage brockage. I'm not sure what caused the crease in the floor of the indent.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 4, 2011
                        Nice coin!

                        Jon
                        On Dec 4, 2011, at 4:20 PM, Mike Diamond wrote:

                        Here's an even better example that just sold on eBay.

                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Penny-Error-Backage-Straight-Edge-/380389469636?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item5890faadc4

                        It's a more desirable specimen as the area not covered by the intrusive planchet carries an early-stage brockage. I'm not sure what caused the crease in the floor of the indent.

                        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Michael Evanchik <ivan0000013@...> wrote:

                        > I agree with mike 100%.i bid 75 on this thinking it would be plenty enough to win it and i bid that beleiving it was simply a capped die strike with an indent from a second planchet.a very neat error but pretty straightfoward.regards,mike e.

                      • jeff ylitalo
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 4, 2011
                          I love IT-!