Reversal of bad fortune.

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2011
      Looks as if today, eBay recinded the changes it made earlier in the week and will at least for now allow ended auctions to be viewed. Also, the drop-down menus for printing previous months' purchases has also returned as it was. Could there be a light at the end of their tunnel?

      I'll attempt to discuss that coin from an ended auction now while I can.

      Looks to me as if this planchet might have been damaged prior to the strike. I see it as having gotten caught up in rotating machinery somehow. Periphery looks strong and the borders of copper and zinc look fully struck up...Any other ideas? (aside from acid which I cannot rule out...but I'm pretty close to doing so).

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/150670384403?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

      Thank you, eBay.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2011
        I'm glad things are back to the way they were. Maybe you can convince eBay to charge a minimim listing fee of $1. I'm tired of seeing the same overpriced items week after week. A steeper listing fee might discourage this sort of behavior.

        Anyway, the coin you directed our attention to seems to be a typical example of partial plating. I see no evidence that a fully plated planchet was damaged prior to the strike. Partial plating errors are endlessly variable in their appearance. "Swirly" and "bullseye" patterns do occur with some frequency.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc" <numismistake@...> wrote:

        > Looks as if today, eBay recinded the changes it made earlier in the week and will at least for now allow ended auctions to be viewed. Also, the drop-down menus for printing previous months' purchases has also returned as it was. Could there be a light at the end of their tunnel?
        >
        > I'll attempt to discuss that coin from an ended auction now while I can.
        >
        > Looks to me as if this planchet might have been damaged prior to the strike. I see it as having gotten caught up in rotating machinery somehow. Periphery looks strong and the borders of copper and zinc look fully struck up...Any other ideas? (aside from acid which I cannot rule out...but I'm pretty close to doing so).
        >
        > http://www.ebay.com/itm/150670384403?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649
        >
        > Thank you, eBay.

      • Marc
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 15, 2011
          Thank you Mike for that correct diagnosis of partial plating. I shudda thunk that ...

          As for those eBay listers with the same overpriced coins week after week...I got into trouble the last time I talked about eBay listers. I'll stay away from that subject this time.