1985-D Unplated Zinc cent

  • fred_weinberg
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2011
      Rob,

      As Mike says, without a clear close up
      scan of both sides of your 85-D cent, it's
      impossible to tell what it is.

      The General rule I go by is:

      If it's bright and shiny, it's been re-plated

      If it's dark, dull, & grey,it's been de-plated

      An original cent struck on an unplated planchet
      should have 'luster', like that similar to a BU
      '43 Steel Cent (of course it will be a different
      'steel' color)If there's no luster, the odds are
      it's not an original coin.

      Just my opinion.