64 this 50c

  • Rob Risi
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2011
      Can anyone agree with me that my 1964 Kennedy half dollar that weighs in at 9.5 grams is that of a "thin" planchet error or rolled thin?
      is this the proper error term for such an error? or possibly quarter stock? the coin does show weakness around the rims and the date/motto.
      at 9.5g its a few grams underweight for sure.

      ~ROB RISI~

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2011
        It's a "rolled-thin" error -- it was struck on a planchet punched out of silver half dollar stock that was rolled too thin. According to Lonesome John's table of wrong stock weights, a half dollar on silver quarter stock should weigh around 9.95 grams. I haven't bothered to verify this with my own calculations. The table does have some mistakes in it.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone agree with me that my 1964 Kennedy half dollar that weighs in at 9.5 grams is that of a "thin" planchet error or rolled thin?
        > is this the proper error term for such an error? or possibly quarter stock? the coin does show weakness around the rims and the date/motto.
        > at 9.5g its a few grams underweight for sure.

        > ~ROB RISI~

      • Rob Risi
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2011
          well my coin is 9.5g, so its lighter than the so called given weight of 9.95g
          Thanks Mike as always for clarification.

          ~ROB RISI~

          It's a "rolled-thin" error -- it was struck on a planchet punched out of silver half dollar stock that was rolled too thin. According to Lonesome John's table of wrong stock weights, a half dollar on silver quarter stock should weigh around 9.95 grams. I haven't bothered to verify this with my own calculations. The table does have some mistakes in it.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone agree with me that my 1964 Kennedy half dollar that weighs in at 9.5 grams is that of a "thin" planchet error or rolled thin?
          > is this the proper error term for such an error? or possibly quarter stock? the coin does show weakness around the rims and the date/motto.
          > at 9.5g its a few grams underweight for sure.

          > ~ROB RISI~

        • Jon P. Sullivan