struck thru cloth 50c

  • Rob Risi
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2011
      Has anyone seen any struck thru cloth Kennedy half dollars with 80-100% obverse cloth strikes?...i suspect them to be quite scarce as i don't have one, but on cents-qtrs they exist, but recently aquired a nice 1971 50c struck thru a wad of cloth from 7:00-9:00 on the obverse and covers about 15% of the coin from the rim to most of in god we trust where just the "D" from god is visible. The cloth struck area is quite deep into the coin's surface with nice weave textures and a crisp look. This was an ebay winning from over a week ago if anyone recalls seeing it. Like Jeff, i am a big fan of cloth strikes.

      ~ROB RISI~

    • William Polkinghorn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2011
        Hi Rob , I'm curious just what is struck thru cloth coin? Do you have any pix of them that you could post ?

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2011
          simply as stated....a coin that had a piece of cloth struck into it that was laying on the dies..Sorry no pics..Most struck thru cloth errors are recognizable due to the weave pattern or checkboard look to it, hence being a piece of "cloth".

          ~ROB RISI~

          Hi Rob , I'm curious just what is struck thru cloth coin? Do you have any pix of them that you could post ?

          Has anyone seen any struck thru cloth Kennedy half dollars with 80-100% obverse cloth strikes?...i suspect them to be quite scarce as i don't have one, but on cents-qtrs they exist, but recently aquired a nice 1971 50c struck thru a wad of cloth from 7:00-9:00 on the obverse and covers about 15% of the coin from the rim to most of in god we trust where just the "D" from god is visible. The cloth struck area is quite deep into the coin's surface with nice weave textures and a crisp look. This was an ebay winning from over a week ago if anyone recalls seeing it. Like Jeff, i am a big fan of cloth strikes.

          ~ROB RISI~

        • Al C.
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2011
            I have not seen any with more than 10-20%. But every kind of errors are tough on the half due to the low mintage.

            Al