Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: 100 Pesos depicting Mapuche Indians

  • innff@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2011
      Unfortunately, that is the way of nature. Introduce a non-native species into a new environment and if it is at the top of that food chain or without predation from the local denizens, then that new species will become dominant, slow pushing out its boundaries in the newly found domain.

      I do not have to look far to see this in progress, with the anacondas and pythons that have bee freed into the everglades. Even the 'gators, who are the local denizens and are on the top of the food chain are having a hard time coping with these new species.

      And then there is the lionfish, a potential hazard to humans because of their poisonous spines, that have
      been introduced into the Florida reefs. It has come down to the fact that there is now yearly organized hunts for this species since it is rapidly taking over the reefs and expanding its presence by eating native fish.

      While I do agree that the atrocities conducted against native populations to gain wealth, land, etc. is entirely wrong, it may be deeply inbred into every species on earth. Yes, as humans we should know better, but it seems that we do not.

      In a message dated 6/3/2011 10:17:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mdia1@... writes:

      When have native peoples ever gotten a fair shake? This nation was built on land stolen from indigenous Americans. Of course, removal/extermination of native peoples was the thing to do among European powers during the age of exploration and colonial expansion. Attitudes have matured over the last 75 years, but fair compensation has rarely been offered. I'm not sure what fair compensation is for a lost language, culture, and way of life.

      Persecution and exploitation of native peoples still continues in many parts of the world, regrettably. Mining, oil extraction, deforestation, and clearing land for cattle ranches and soybean farms often require the forced removal of local villagers.