100 Pesos depicting Mapuche Indians

  • jylitalo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2011
      I have some really nice bi-metallic errors (100 pesos) never seen before, depicting the Mapuche.

      Too bad the Chilean government can't cut these folks some slack (native people).

      Sad, IMHO. I will be writing some articles on these coins in the future for Errorscope.

      Crack down on Mapuche Indians
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2011
        When have native peoples ever gotten a fair shake? This nation was built on land stolen from indigenous Americans. Of course, removal/extermination of native peoples was the thing to do among European powers during the age of exploration and colonial expansion. Attitudes have matured over the last 75 years, but fair compensation has rarely been offered. I'm not sure what fair compensation is for a lost language, culture, and way of life.

        Persecution and exploitation of native peoples still continues in many parts of the world, regrettably. Mining, oil extraction, deforestation, and clearing land for cattle ranches and soybean farms often require the forced removal of local villagers.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "jylitalo" <jylitalo@...> wrote:

        > I have some really nice bi-metallic errors (100 pesos) never seen
        > before, depicting the Mapuche.
        >
        > Too bad the Chilean government can't cut these folks some slack (native
        > people).
        >
        > Sad, IMHO. I will be writing some articles on these coins in the future
        > for Errorscope.
        >
        > Crack down on Mapuche Indians
        > <http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Mapuche-woman-detained-police-officers-du\
        > ring-demonstration-support-four-imprisoned/photo//110603/481/urn_publici\
        > d_ap_org3c5be4b0fd40489582b562e1baf7e6d1//s:/ap/20110603/ap_on_re_la_am_\
        > ca/lt_chile_mapuches>

      • jeff ylitalo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2011
          Indeed.

          While I could go to great length in the 'fair shake' department of indigenous Americans, I won't.

          I was influenced by many tribes where I grew up from the area of the Pacific Northwest.....the Shoshone, Nez Perce, Kootniea, Bonner, and Flathead tribes from both northern Idaho and western Montana just to name those who grew to influence over the years.

          Being a white dude descending from immigrants hailing from euro laden Finland....(I am an American guys.........my folks came over from Finland.....and I learned English in English speaking public schools and colleges which automatically excluded me from contacting tribal medicine men, participating in cannabis and peyote smoke outs, sweat lodges, and other general enjoyments of natural highs while I was growing up.....a GOOD thing now that I look back at it).

          How the US government works in the 'Fair Shake' department these days, I know they cut the native American pop alot of SLACK......however, if you choose, which ..........I do not recommend that you do, any sort of biz with them, hire up some DAMN FINE lawyers who are intimate with Indian affairs......... and be WARNED.

          Lot's of other nasty stuff happens, but it is better left unsaid on ECIE.......do your self a favor and look elsewhere for this crud.

          I agree, lots of native peoples all over the world have been ripped the F' off............and I cannot blame them for being angry....not at all.

          I look forward to writing of these error coins and the Mapuche Indians

          My hat is off to any and all who dig deep and voice not only the injustice, but their dissatisfaction in government policies all over the globe-!

          Jeff

          When have native peoples ever gotten a fair shake? This nation was built on land stolen from indigenous Americans. Of course, removal/extermination of native peoples was the thing to do among European powers during the age of exploration and colonial expansion. Attitudes have matured over the last 75 years, but fair compensation has rarely been offered. I'm not sure what fair compensation is for a lost language, culture, and way of life.

          Persecution and exploitation of native peoples still continues in many parts of the world, regrettably. Mining, oil extraction, deforestation, and clearing land for cattle ranches and soybean farms often require the forced removal of local villagers.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "jylitalo" <jylitalo@...> wrote:

          > I have some really nice bi-metallic errors (100 pesos) never seen
          > before, depicting the Mapuche.
          >
          > Too bad the Chilean government can't cut these folks some slack (native
          > people).
          >
          > Sad, IMHO. I will be writing some articles on these coins in the future
          > for Errorscope.
          >
          > Crack down on Mapuche Indians
          > <http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Mapuche-woman-detained-police-officers-du | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic
          Messages in this topic (2)
          Recent Activity:
          .

        • innff@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 5, 2011
            Unfortunately, that is the way of nature. Introduce a non-native species into a new environment and if it is at the top of that food chain or without predation from the local denizens, then that new species will become dominant, slow pushing out its boundaries in the newly found domain.

            I do not have to look far to see this in progress, with the anacondas and pythons that have bee freed into the everglades. Even the 'gators, who are the local denizens and are on the top of the food chain are having a hard time coping with these new species.

            And then there is the lionfish, a potential hazard to humans because of their poisonous spines, that have
            been introduced into the Florida reefs. It has come down to the fact that there is now yearly organized hunts for this species since it is rapidly taking over the reefs and expanding its presence by eating native fish.

            While I do agree that the atrocities conducted against native populations to gain wealth, land, etc. is entirely wrong, it may be deeply inbred into every species on earth. Yes, as humans we should know better, but it seems that we do not.