Alteranate diagnosis

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2011
      I agree that this 1974-D cent was triple-struck:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/1974D-1c-triple-struck-split-Plan-Mirror-Rev-PCGS-MS65-/270744929738?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3f09a7c5ca

      However, I don't think it split off after the last strike or after any of the strikes. This appears to be the detached bottom of an obverse die cap that was struck twice after it broke away from its wall. The incuse image on the reverse (working) face is simply a ghost image that bled through the thin metal of the cap from the obverse die.
    • Michael Evanchik
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2011
        interesting-this coin was in one of jims mail bid sales a few months ago,and went for the minimum-if i remember correctly it was about $550-this is also the same seller that bought the nice triple struck cent from paperchasesue on ebay-he paid a whopping $750 for that one and also has had it relisted on ebay for $1000.