Al Levy passed

  • richerrors
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2, 2011
      I was just informed that long time Error Collector/Dealer/friend Alan Levy of California passed away on Friday from Cancer.
      Al was a prince of a guy who has been this hobby for a very long time, Quiet, respectful and always a pleasent word could be heard from Al
      RIP my friend, The World & the Hobby has lost a wonderful person.
    • Michael Evanchik
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2, 2011
        OMG-my deepest sympathies to you(if you knew him well) and his family if you could pass that on somehow.i didnt know him personally,but dealt with him in error coin dealings many times,and also chatted via email many times.he was always very kind and always took the time to talk with me when i asked questions.a great dealer who will be missed.

        I was just informed that long time Error Collector/Dealer/friend Alan Levy of California passed away on Friday from Cancer.
        Al was a prince of a guy who has been this hobby for a very long time, Quiet, respectful and always a pleasent word could be heard from Al
        RIP my friend, The World & the Hobby has lost a wonderful person.

      • Rob Risi
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2, 2011
          Really?  Holy cow...i just emailed him a few hrs ago asking him if he retired and ask him about a coin for sale from his site....Never knew he was sick and finally got to meet him for the first and only time last November at the Baltimore show where he bought some coins from me and i bought from him....He said last yr that he and his partner weren't going to continue/etc.....RIP to a truly nice young guy.

          ~ROB RISI~

          Message 4 of 20 , May 2, 2011
            young??? you know how old he was??? and not to be crass or rude,but whats going to happen to his stock.i know he did have some tremendous errors.

            Message 5 of 20 , May 2, 2011
              No, but maybe 65 or so...?

              ~ROB RISI~

              Message 6 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                Al knew he was dying, I'm sure he left instructions with his family on who to contact, auctions.. etc
                Al was extremely sharp & would have not left this base uncovered, especialy when he knew time was short.. and yes that was in "poor' taste to ask about his Coins..!

                Message 7 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                  This is indeed very sad, and very unexpected news. The hobby has lost one of its greats.
                • Al C.
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 2, 2011

                    That is very bad news. He is not far from me. We have exchanged e-mails not that long ago.

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                      what do you mean?

                      ~ROB RISI~

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                        Al will be miss, I remember we use to meet after work once in a while and show each other our coins at his work and talk about error coins when I was active collecting. My prayers goes out to his wife and family.:(

                        I was just informed that long time Error Collector/Dealer/friend Alan Levy of California passed away on Friday from Cancer.
                        Al was a prince of a guy who has been this hobby for a very long time, Quiet, respectful and always a pleasent word could be heard from Al
                        RIP my friend, The World & the Hobby has lost a wonderful person.

                      • Jon P. Sullivan
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                          I'm shocked-I had no idea Al was sick! I will certainly miss his familiar presence at shows such as Long Beach, and the error hobby has certainly lost one of its "greats!" I always enjoyed talking about coins and doing business with him since he knew so much about error coins and the hobby, and was also fair and honest in his coin dealings. His family is in my prayers.

                          Jon

                          On May 2, 2011, at 7:50 PM, Al C. wrote:

                          Al will be miss, I remember we use to meet after work once in a while and show each other our coins at his work and talk about error coins when I was active collecting. My prayers goes out to his wife and family.:(

                          I was just informed that long time Error Collector/Dealer/friend Alan Levy of California passed away on Friday from Cancer.
                          Al was a prince of a guy who has been this hobby for a very long time, Quiet, respectful and always a pleasent word could be heard from Al
                          RIP my friend, The World & the Hobby has lost a wonderful person.

                        • Travis
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                            This is unfortunate news. I spoke with Al several times and had the pleasure of meeting him a couple years ago at the Phoenix ANA. While talking with him our conversations often drifted from the hobby into more general or personal discussions. I considered him a friend and wish his family all the best.

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                              i wasnt asking about them from a collectors standpoint.i was talking for his family.i know he had some spectacular errors.things that probably should not be auctioned on ebay.was wondering if family knew what to do.my own collection is only worth about $25,000,and im 43,but i know my family would have no idea what to do with it.just as my granfather was a collector.when he passed,his collection was left to his 3 sons.even though they know i collect,and would actually enjoy inventorying it for them(including my father),its just been sitting at one of their houses,untouched now for nearly 20 years.i really wasnt asking as a way to snap up some errrors cheap.my apologies if i ofended anyone.sorry,mike e.

                              Al knew he was dying, I'm sure he left instructions with his family on who to contact, auctions.. etc
                              Al was extremely sharp & would have not left this base uncovered, especialy when he knew time was short.. and yes that was in "poor' taste to ask about his Coins..!

                              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Michael Evanchik <ivan0000013@...> wrote:

                              > young??? you know how old he was??? and not to be crass or rude,but whats going to happen to his stock.i know he did have some tremendous errors.

                            • jeff ylitalo
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                                I am sorry to hear of Alan Levy passing.

                                Thanks for sharing the news.

                                Jeff Ylitalo

                              • TheOcean1@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                                  He will be sorely missed.

                                  Bill Anderson/Tim Havey

                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 3, 2011
                                    Perhaps someone who knew Allan particularly well would consider submitting an obituary/reminiscence for publication in Errorscope.
                                  • jeff ylitalo
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 3, 2011
                                      I would be happy to format such content in memory of Alan.

                                      If anyone would like to do this, as Mike D. has suggested, please let me know and I will contact you privately.

                                      Jeff Ylitalo
                                      Errorscope editor

                                      Perhaps someone who knew Allan particularly well would consider submitting an obituary/reminiscence for publication in Errorscope.

                                    • Mike Marshall
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 3, 2011
                                        Prayers for his family from Canada.  Regards  Mike Marshall

                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 3, 2011
                                          also mike,it might be nice if someone could collect all these sympathy notes here on ecie and pass them on to his family.might be nice for them to see how many people really will miss him too.people the family had no idea about.just a thought,mike e.

                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 5, 2011
                                            Dear Alan

                                            I was just thinking about you this morning when i woke up....i was so looking forward to see you at this upcoming Long Beach Show
                                            Thank you for letting me, Mike Chambers and many others sitting at your table for hours... Thank you for sharing your error knowledge and your interesting life story.
                                            I am really Sad right now..but i know that you are up there looking down.. Smiling...and saying..I'll see you guys again someday"

                                            We Love You Alan..You will be missed Greatly

                                            Your Friend Always

                                            Chef Ito