Re: 1967 jefferson mixed metal planchet error specimen, newly aquired coin

    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011
      The coin is in such poor shape that it's hard to evaluate. If I was to go simply by the appearance of the obverse and reverse face, I'd say it was simply stained and corroded. However, your edge shots seem to show a thin layer of adhering copper. I'd have to put this in the "questionable" file.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, nathan simmons <theoregonartist@...> wrote:

      > <:avglsdata id=avglsdata>
      > To anyone of you interested in multiple metal or mixed metal planchet errors, I
      > aquired this coin rather amazingly on E-bay's error page forum.....having seen
      > one of these when I was 8 years old (I'm 52 now) and this thing was an expensive
      > error when I was 8...I always wanted one....I was willing to pay $40.00 to
      > ...uh....well.....more anyway for this one...It was not offered with photos of
      > the edge. I got it early yesterday morning and to my absolute thrill, the edges
      > were like the one I saw as a kid with copper showing through the edges where
      > copper showed on the front and back as well leading me to think that the copper
      > was is a fully connected metal through the coin mixed along with the nickel.
      >   Anybody have any comments?.....as per rarity or value,....even grade, I
      > already know the grade ain't that swooft so I'm not so impressed by that aspect
      > of it but would welcome comments...already have one comment but please, "that
      > someone" comment again if you will.......Note here,.....there's a spot on the
      > rim of the coin where the copper seems to make the rim thinner where the copper
      > occurs...but the rim gets thicker too at the opposing side where there is also
      > some copper, it's just wierd.....I love stuff like this.
      >
      > Nathan Simmons

    • nathan simmons
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011
        well, I suppose that's a bit better an assay of this particular coin that the last one.......the poor shape however doesn't take away the obvious content of the coin's metal particulars so much as it does the conditon as per grade, grade which I previously stated I already kinda knew about....obviously it's not an MS-64......in which case I wouldn't be able to have afforded it to begin with......it's enough for me to just have this error "type" in my ownership cuz.."dude" I'm old and "unrich".....unlike some of you other collectors which I'll not apologize for. I do my best....as do you guys......which I applaud you all for,....not out of jealousy but out of your ability to justify your investments for whatever reasons you do & I'll not question whatever they are..........this is a fascinating field of interest whether or not it becomes a habit or an obsession......and who cares of it does?....not me!!!!!!!!!!!.....I say "play through Gentlemen & Ladies"....I'll hang here and watch the leaderboard and whisper while you putt.

        Nathan Simmons.

        The coin is in such poor shape that it's hard to evaluate. If I was to go simply by the appearance of the obverse and reverse face, I'd say it was simply stained and corroded. However, your edge shots seem to show a thin layer of adhering copper. I'd have to put this in the "questionable" file.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, nathan simmons <theoregonartist@...> wrote:

        > <:avglsdata id=avglsdata>
        > To anyone of you interested in multiple metal or mixed metal planchet errors, I
        > aquired this coin rather amazingly on E-bay's error page forum.....having seen
        > one of these when I was 8 years old (I'm 52 now) and this thing was an expensive
        > error when I was 8...I always wanted one....I was willing to pay $40.00 to
        > ...uh....well.....more anyway for this one...It was not offered with photos of
        > the edge. I got it early yesterday morning and to my absolute thrill, the edges
        > were like the one I saw as a kid with copper showing through the edges where
        > copper showed on the front and back as well leading me to think that the copper
        > was is a fully connected metal through the coin mixed along with the nickel.
        >   Anybody have any comments?.....as per rarity or value,....even grade, I
        > already know the grade ain't that swooft so I'm not so impressed by that aspect
        > of it but would welcome comments...already have one comment but please, "that
        > someone" comment again if you will.......Note here,.....there's a spot on the
        > rim of the coin where the copper seems to make the rim thinner where the copper
        > occurs...but the rim gets thicker too at the opposing side where there is also
        > some copper, it's just wierd.....I love stuff like this.
        >
        > Nathan Simmons

      • Al C.
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011
        • 1 Attachment
        • 25 KB
        I don't think it is a mixed metal planchet error, how much does the coin weight? Can't tell from the photos, it could be corrosion or some copper on the surface of the nickel like one that I had.

        Message 4 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011
          Surface copper arises from many different sources. Most represent nickels struck on improperly annealed planchets. In others, thin layers of copper (source unclear) are struck into the coin. Some of the latter are simply accidental visitors to the striking chamber. Other copper sheets clearly glom onto the nickel planchet much earlier in the production process. Some cases of surface copper may represent improper alloy mix errors.

          Careful study is necessary to tease apart the various possibilities.

          Message 5 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011
            Hi Al. It's good to hear from you after such a long silence. Your coin is a classic case of improper annealing.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Al C." <bull102797@...> wrote:

            > I don't think it is a mixed metal planchet error, how much does the coin weight? Can't tell from the photos, it could be corrosion or some copper on the surface of the nickel like one that I had.

          • Al C.
            Message 6 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011
              Hi Mike,

              Thanks. I have not been collecting for a while now but I still read the posts from the forum.:)

              Hi Al. It's good to hear from you after such a long silence. Your coin is a classic case of improper annealing.

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Al C." <bull102797@...> wrote:

              > I don't think it is a mixed metal planchet error, how much does the coin weight? Can't tell from the photos, it could be corrosion or some copper on the surface of the nickel like one that I had.

            • nathan simmons
              Message 7 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011
                having it wieghed monday at our local coin shop, don't want my scale being a point of ridicule here. will let you all know.

                Nathan Simmons

> [...]

                > the edge. I got it early yesterday morning and to my absolute thrill, the edges
                > were like the one I saw as a kid with copper showing through the edges where
                > copper showed on the front and back as well leading me to think that the copper
                > was is a fully connected metal through the coin mixed along with the nickel.
                >   Anybody have any comments?.....as per rarity or value,....even grade, I
                > already know the grade ain't that swooft so I'm not so impressed by that aspect
                > of it but would welcome comments...already have one comment but please, "that
                > someone" comment again if you will.......Note here,.....there's a spot on the
                > rim of the coin where the copper seems to make the rim thinner where the copper
                > occurs...but the rim gets thicker too at the opposing side where there is also
                > some copper, it's just wierd.....I love stuff like this.

              • nathan simmons
                Message 8 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011

                  I'd reply here but I don't think my opion much matters, you guys seem to already have this coins mind made up for it already, I'm betting this coin might get hung in Alabama.

                • Al C.
                  Message 9 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011

                    I am sure no one is trying to ridicule anyone here. We are just stating our opinions on the coin. I collected Jefferson nickel errors for many years and probably seen all the possible errors on a Jefferson nickel.  Unless I can examine the coin in person, I still can't 100% sure on anything.:) And that goes for many errors except the real simple ones like a off centered coin.

> [...]

                    > the edge. I got it early yesterday morning and to my absolute thrill, the edges
                    > were like the one I saw as a kid with copper showing through the edges where
                    > copper showed on the front and back as well leading me to think that the copper
                    > was is a fully connected metal through the coin mixed along with the nickel.
                    >   Anybody have any comments?.....as per rarity or value,....even grade, I
                    > already know the grade ain't that swooft so I'm not so impressed by that aspect
                    > of it but would welcome comments...already have one comment but please, "that
                    > someone" comment again if you will.......Note here,.....there's a spot on the
                    > rim of the coin where the copper seems to make the rim thinner where the copper
                    > occurs...but the rim gets thicker too at the opposing side where there is also
                    > some copper, it's just wierd.....I love stuff like this.

                  • nathan simmons
                    Message 10 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011

                      You know what?....if you took the time to viiew the photos, you'd see that "this particular coin" has copper on both sides joined through the edges of the coin which is visible on the actual rim (phots provided of the rim too).....and really not that I care,...I just figured other folks in the room would think this coin is interesting. I chased this coin since I was 8 years old,.....tried to swap one for a 2& a half dollar gold piece for one even..... with no luck......well, finally I found one that's the real deal,......I came in here and offered it up as an interesting item, I already know what it is, I've been collecting coins since I was 7 or 8 years old, I'm 52 now,....I know an oddly mixed planchet when I see one cuz I've seen quite a few but I've never been able to afford one before. I got lucky and won this one in the errors forum page on E-bay for 99 cents plus $2.00 shipping,........yep I expected a turd.....to my surprise?.....OMG It's like I'm 8 all over again........ridicule schmidicule........what do you guys want me to do, pass it around so you can feel it and look at it in person?.......I'd do it if I knew I'd get it back!......I know Mike wants to see it sort of...anyway I'll have it wieghed on monday at our local coin shop along with 4 silver Jefferson war nickel lamination errors I obtained as well which I think are rather awesome too......I'll post those in here too if you wish cuz they're pretty cool.....just say the word.

                      Nathan Simmons

> [...]

                      > the edge. I got it early yesterday morning and to my absolute thrill, the edges
                      > were like the one I saw as a kid with copper showing through the edges where
                      > copper showed on the front and back as well leading me to think that the copper
                      > was is a fully connected metal through the coin mixed along with the nickel.
                      >   Anybody have any comments?.....as per rarity or value,....even grade, I
                      > already know the grade ain't that swooft so I'm not so impressed by that aspect
                      > of it but would welcome comments...already have one comment but please, "that
                      > someone" comment again if you will.......Note here,.....there's a spot on the
                      > rim of the coin where the copper seems to make the rim thinner where the copper
                      > occurs...but the rim gets thicker too at the opposing side where there is also
                      > some copper, it's just wierd.....I love stuff like this.

                    • Travis
                      Message 11 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011
                        If you do indeed find this an interesting field in the world of coins I highly suggest buying books about errors if you haven't already. Best wishes with your collecting.

                      • nathan simmons
                        Message 12 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011
                          Thanks Travis,
                          Yep I've got a stack of books about 30 inches tall.

                          Nathan

                          If you do indeed find this an interesting field in the world of coins I highly suggest buying books about errors if you haven't already. Best wishes with your collecting.

                          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, nathan simmons <theoregonartist@...> wrote:

                          > <:avglsdata id=avglsdata>You know what?....if you took the time to viiew the
                          > photos, you'd see that "this particular coin" has copper on both sides joined
                          > through the edges of the coin which is visible on the actual rim (phots provided
                          > of the rim too).....and really not that I care,...I just figured other folks in
                          > the room would think this coin is interesting. I chased this coin since I was 8
                          > years old,.....tried to swap one for a 2& a half dollar gold piece for one
                          > even..... with no luck......well, finally I found one that's the real
                          > deal,......I came in here and offered it up as an interesting item, I already
                          > know what it is, I've been collecting coins since I was 7 or 8 years old, I'm 52
                          > now,....I know an oddly mixed planchet when I see one cuz I've seen quite a few
                          > but I've never been able to afford one before. I got lucky and won this one in
                          > the errors forum page on E-bay for 99 cents plus $2.00 shipping,........yep I
                          > expected a turd.....to my surprise?.....OMG It's like I'm 8 all over
                          > again........ridicule schmidicule........what do you guys want me to do, pass it
                          > around so you can feel it and look at it in person?.......I'd do it if I knew
                          > I'd get it back!......I know Mike wants to see it sort of...anyway I'll have it
                          > wieghed on monday at our local coin shop along with 4 silver Jefferson war
                          > nickel lamination errors I obtained as well which I think are rather awesome
                          > too......I'll post those in here too if you wish cuz they're pretty
                          > cool.....just say the word.
                          >
                          > Nathan Simmons
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Steve Frank
                          Message 13 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011
                            I have quite a few myself....just gotta get time and ambition to read the 95% I haven't yet.<s> So many good coin books published, it can be difficult to keep up. Of course, attribution books you don't read, but there are some great coin books for people who just like to read, and a good error primer would be beneficial to anyone starting out. I don't think I have any books on errors, but might. I do have a few die vareity books, which do contain some errors, ie legend or RPM's.

                            I do know from one of my newsletters that a book you should avoid is "Major Variety and Oddity Guide of United States Coins" which made E-ylums list of worst numismatic books of all time. According to an E-sylum member, it is loaded with photo after photo of post mint damaged coins labeled as errors, "but has enough legitimate errors to confuse a beginer or even intermediate error collector". So don't just purchase books. Purchase "Good" books.
                            Hi Nathan,

                            This group has some amazing photo files, so utilize them. They're free, and may be better than any book you can pay big money for. Online resourses are terrific. The Notre Dame collection web-site http://www.coins.nd.edu/ received honorable mention in a colonial coins book survey article I wrote for the C4 Newsletter, with several people calling it "the best book available"....and its free!! It's constantly updated, and when I find an error, I contact Lou Jordan, and he fixes it. Wouldn't it be great if we could do that with hard copy books instead of having a 1st edition loaded up with hand written corrections hoping for a 2nd edition?

                            Good luck buddy!!

                            Yep I've got a stack of books about 30 inches tall.

                            Nathan

                            If you do indeed find this an interesting field in the world of coins I highly suggest buying books about errors if you haven't already. Best wishes with your collecting.

                            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, nathan simmons <theoregonartist@...> wrote:

                            > <:avglsdata id=avglsdata>You know what?....if you took the time to viiew the
                            > photos, you'd see that "this particular coin" has copper on both sides joined
                            > through the edges of the coin which is visible on the actual rim (phots provided
                            > of the rim too).....and really not that I care,...I just figured other folks in
                            > the room would think this coin is interesting. I chased this coin since I was 8
                            > years old,.....tried to swap one for a 2& a half dollar gold piece for one
                            > even..... with no luck......well, finally I found one that's the real
                            > deal,......I came in here and offered it up as an interesting item, I already
                            > know what it is, I've been collecting coins since I was 7 or 8 years old, I'm 52
                            > now,....I know an oddly mixed planchet when I see one cuz I've seen quite a few
                            > but I've never been able to afford one before. I got lucky and won this one in
                            > the errors forum page on E-bay for 99 cents plus $2.00 shipping,........yep I
                            > expected a turd.....to my surprise?.....OMG It's like I'm 8 all over
                            > again........ridicule schmidicule........what do you guys want me to do, pass it
                            > around so you can feel it and look at it in person?.......I'd do it if I knew
                            > I'd get it back!......I know Mike wants to see it sort of...anyway I'll have it
                            > wieghed on monday at our local coin shop along with 4 silver Jefferson war
                            > nickel lamination errors I obtained as well which I think are rather awesome
                            > too......I'll post those in here too if you wish cuz they're pretty
                            > cool.....just say the word.
                            >
                            > Nathan Simmons
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Travis
                            Message 14 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011
                              I do know from one of my newsletters that a book you should avoid is "Major Variety and Oddity Guide of United States Coins"

                              Good advice, Spadone should be avoided.

                              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Steve Frank <taxi_steve929@...> wrote:

                              > I have quite a few myself....just gotta get time and ambition to read the 95% I haven't yet.<s> So many good coin books published, it can be difficult to keep up. Of course, attribution books you don't read, but there are some great coin books for people who just like to read, and a good error primer would be beneficial to anyone starting out. I don't think I have any books on errors, but might. I do have a few die vareity books, which do contain some errors, ie legend or RPM's.
                              >
                              > I do know from one of my newsletters that a book you should avoid is "Major Variety and Oddity Guide of United States Coins" which made E-ylums list of worst numismatic books of all time. According to an E-sylum member, it is loaded with photo after photo of post mint damaged coins labeled as errors, "but has enough legitimate errors to confuse a beginer or even intermediate error collector". So don't just purchase books. Purchase "Good" books.
                              > Hi Nathan,
                              >
                              > This group has some amazing photo files, so utilize them. They're free, and may be better than any book you can pay big money for. Online resourses are terrific. The Notre Dame collection web-site http://www.coins.nd.edu/%c3%82%c2%a0received honorable mention in a colonial coins book survey article I wrote for the C4 Newsletter, with several people calling it "the best book available"....and its free!! It's constantly updated, and when I find an error, I contact Lou Jordan, and he fixes it. Wouldn't it be great if we could do that with hard copy books instead of having a 1st edition loaded up with hand written corrections hoping for a 2nd edition?
                              >
                              > Good luck buddy!!

                            • Steve Frank
                              Message 15 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011
                              Hi Nathan. I never saw the photo you are talking about here. I looked but and can't find it. Can you send it to me privately.

                              One thing though, and we talk privately, so you know where I stand on many things. As I said, whether its a job, a party, or an online coin group, there will be some people you will just not hit it off with. Why? Who knows. So rather than arguing, just roll with it. I noticed people in this group are pretty straight forward. It's not an emotionally charged group. When someone posts something, there is not a great deal of kudos and congratulations after a good purchase is shared, although there is some. The posts are simple, and straightforward. The answers are direct, and don't go into great detail on the reasons, but to someone knowledgeable on errors, it is probably plenty. And I agree that you can't usually make 100%  accurate decisions just veiwing a photo, so the members offer an loose opinion on what they believe the coin to be. As I said, sometimes it is a positive conclussion, but often, it is a combination of the photo, and "Track Record". (by that I mean they have seen this look 100 times, and 99 times it was what they decide it is.

                              I've always been up front with you on things, and I have read what others posted. I didn't see any personal attacks or anything that should upset you. As a matter of fact, most pointed out that this coin would be too difficult to judge from photos, and as one person said, that is true of MOST error coins. Photos are 2 dimensional. A simple change of the angle of light can make a coin look entirely different. Colors get messed up when photographing, and then trying to correct them can mess them up even more.

                              If you really want to enjoy the error coins, or any type of coin collecting, I would like to make a couple of simple suggestions. The library has already been talked about, so I will leave that be as the most important thing to do.....and read it. Don't just use the books to level a table like I do with some.<s>

                              1 - Buy a good digital scale. There are some great scales and they're about 1/20th of the price you would have paid 20 years ago, and probably 1/5 of just 10 years back. My preference is one that measures to 1/100th of a gram and 1/10th of a grain. Make sure the scale has different modes to weigh different countries coins. I know you can use the grams to grains calculator, but it is not as accurate....I like total accuracy, but others might not see this as important as I do. (the same reason fehrenheit is more accurate than celsius when you have a limited number of decimal places. You can get an excellent scale for well under 100 dollars.I have 5 or 6, but should really toss the ones that crapped out, so have 3 that work. I can send you a broken scale, but then if you posted the weight of the nickel it would be 36 grams or something.<s>

                              2 - Buy a digital caliper to measure diameter and thickness of a coin. You have to be VERY careful with high grade coins if using metal jaws.

                              3 - Learn how to do specific gravity tests, and learn the right way, and when buying the scale, you should keep in mind it will be used for these tests. My set up is pretty straight forward, so the size of the scale is not quite as important as it would be with another set up. I'm lucky enough to have in my group a great guy who owns a company that makes exercise machines, so he was able to design and make some of these simple metal pieces for the sole purpose of doing the SG testing. It's not brain surgery. It's actually straight forward, but you have to follow certain steps, and be meticulous, and always repeat tests at least once in case there was an error. Although not nearly as detailed as some other tests, it is fine for eliminating possibilities, and and thats often very helpful. I like XRF testing as I've said before, but unless you destroy the coin, a thickly plated coin will only reveal what the plating is made of. I guess that even a bad alloy mix can yield whacky results. You can test an area on the surface that is 80-20 copper-nickel, move a few mm's, repeat the test, and come up with 20-80 copper-nickel. If someone has a coin they believe to be silver and should be clad, I'd imagine you could tell with a simple SG test. The way I would do it is get several clad pieces from the same date to check the SG, and hope the results are fairly steady. Then when you test the suspect coin, if it is much higher, you can be pretty sure it is silver. If pure silver, you have absolute values. Depending on how many matals and what percentage of each, you can figure just about exactly what it should be.

                              Photography - You can spend as little or as much as you want. I would love to have a Nikon D-90, but my Sony Powershot SD-40 works fine for now. We can take the photo conversation private, and if you let me know what kind of camera you use, I can help. I used to shoot a lot of film, and always used a manual Nikon...still have the Nikkormat, the last all metal body Nikon made, and although I still love film photography DSLR is best for coins. If I did with film what I do with the digital, I wouldn't be able to afford any coins to photograph!!

                              I shoot with all manual settings using a macro preset, and adjust each shot to the type of coin, taking multiples with slight adjustments. Great thing about digital is you can set up for the obverse. Shoot 6 pics with 6 different settings, flip the coin and do the same for the reverse, start with the best of the bunch deleting the lesser photos. Remember, the less you have to do after taking the photo the better.

                              It is most important for the camera to be still. If you can afford a nice camera and camera stand, and a cable shutter release rather than touching the camera (They probably use a wireless release now), thats great. Less shake = better pics....or you can do like I do. Set your camera on top of a pair of fairly sturdy boxes about 6-8 inches high with the coin in between, set the camera to delay 2 seconds, press the shutter half way to focus with the camera close to where it will be when just lying untouched (this comes with practice), press the shutter and get your hands off the camera. it will move for a second and then be still when the photo is snapped.

                              Heck...if you have a flatbed scanner, you can get amazing details on most coins. This was done by a friend in the UK using a flatbed scanner. Although he isn't one of the "Big Guys", he has one of the best collections for the money. Not a cheap collection by any means, but not one of the billionaire collectiions either. He really shops and is one of the most knowledgeable in English Hammered. Because of size, I just cropped a small part of the collection to post and show what a flatbed scanner he said cost $60 dollars can do. (see attached) He makes pottery for a living, and when I asked how he could afford these beauties, he told me about a large sum of money he received as a finders fee for discovering a cats tombstone!!! No joke. The links to articles about the story below.

                              This discovery made him able to build an excellent collection.

                              The Winkle the Cat article

                              2nd pic down is the stone

                              I don't know what the exchane rate was at the time, but probaby between 1 1/2 to 2GBP's to the dollar.

                              If you do all of the above, your enjoyment level will go up trememdously. Most people I've seen buy coins for investment haven't done well. No dividends, etc, but collectors have done fantastic. You might ask why? It makes no sense.....but it does make sense. The collector does this because of love of the hobby. He studies and reads and learns everything he can, and with this knowledge, makes informed decisions on what to buy. The investor is a slave to whoever picks the coins out for him. The collector picks his own coins. We all want to make money in the end, but the dividends paid are in the study of the coins. Setting up an exhibit at a show. Being part of the great fraternity of numismatists and coin collectors. Writing articles when possible, sharing your knowledge with others. That is the true dividend, and if you do that, it follows that the collection will also increase in value. So just have fun, and learn as much as you can while doing it.

                                            Steve

> [...]

                              > the edge. I got it early yesterday morning and to my absolute thrill, the edges
                              > were like the one I saw as a kid with copper showing through the edges where
                              > copper showed on the front and back as well leading me to think that the copper
                              > was is a fully connected metal through the coin mixed along with the nickel.
                              >   Anybody have any comments?.....as per rarity or value,....even grade, I
                              > already know the grade ain't that swooft so I'm not so impressed by that aspect
                              > of it but would welcome comments...already have one comment but please, "that
                              > someone" comment again if you will.......Note here,.....there's a spot on the
                              > rim of the coin where the copper seems to make the rim thinner where the copper
                              > occurs...but the rim gets thicker too at the opposing side where there is also
                              > some copper, it's just wierd.....I love stuff like this.

                            • nathan simmons
                              Message 16 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011
                                Thanks Travis,
                                I've seen about half of that one.......thought it kinda odd and didn't finish it.....it was in a library actually. I've got more books on JFKs than anything...some on LWCs and LMCs and of course Wexler's and breens and numnerous others and stacks of mags....all claiming to be the "leading authority on the subject".........the more I read? the less I believe anything....except that there's alot of egomaniacs out there with alot of odd coins and little talent for writing.

                                Nathan

                                I do know from one of my newsletters that a book you should avoid is "Major Variety and Oddity Guide of United States Coins"

                                Good advice, Spadone should be avoided.

                                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Steve Frank <taxi_steve929@...> wrote:

                                > I have quite a few myself....just gotta get time and ambition to read the 95% I haven't yet.<s> So many good coin books published, it can be difficult to keep up. Of course, attribution books you don't read, but there are some great coin books for people who just like to read, and a good error primer would be beneficial to anyone starting out. I don't think I have any books on errors, but might. I do have a few die vareity books, which do contain some errors, ie legend or RPM's.
                                >
                                > I do know from one of my newsletters that a book you should avoid is "Major Variety and Oddity Guide of United States Coins" which made E-ylums list of worst numismatic books of all time. According to an E-sylum member, it is loaded with photo after photo of post mint damaged coins labeled as errors, "but has enough legitimate errors to confuse a beginer or even intermediate error collector". So don't just purchase books. Purchase "Good" books.
                                > Hi Nathan,
                                >
                                > This group has some amazing photo files, so utilize them. They're free, and may be better than any book you can pay big money for. Online resourses are terrific. The Notre Dame collection web-site http://www.coins.nd.edu/ received honorable mention in a colonial coins book survey article I wrote for the C4 Newsletter, with several people calling it "the best book available"....and its free!! It's constantly updated, and when I find an error, I contact Lou Jordan, and he fixes it. Wouldn't it be great if we could do that with hard copy books instead of having a 1st edition loaded up with hand written corrections hoping for a 2nd edition?
                                >
                                > Good luck buddy!!

                              • nathan simmons
                                Message 17 of 19 , Apr 16, 2011
                                  Steve,

                                  About my camera,...as far as digital goes, I've got a canon powershot SX30IS........I've got several others but this one actually works well......I've got a bevy of old 35mms.........Canon AE-1s (& programs) Minolta SRT 101s & 102s and 201s)....and an army of old rokor lenses and all manner of generic stuff...........some old turn of the century Kodak too. I collect all that stuff........used the Minoltas and Canons for the past 35 years.....now this computer age digital crap comes along and I'm in a rockin chair or something..........Actually I've got a flourescent stand I'm workin on now. but I'm fixing to replce that with a circular flourescent blub just for coins alone.....this camera has two settings for custom stuff called "C1 & C2"....it has an ultrasonic focuser and a handful of other settings and a flash built in and a slave flash port.....but I think this circular flourescent thing will work fine if I can just get it a place in my studio where iut won't get broken.
                                    In my studio I have a wall with an easel which is 4' x 6' (north wall)     post wall for maps and cliams and such 8' x 12'(east wall) drawing wall& supply 8'x9'(south wall)......my west wall is the only wall I have where I work with hard materials...and a flat table where I can use my camera.......so things are a bit stuffy in here........My coin and gem safes are all built into my floor.......and I store canvases up next to my cieling!!!!!! hahahaha kinda like insulation!!.....I have a scale as well.....in fact I have a few. Here in Oregon however scales are frowned upon because unless you're 78 or 9 years old, that'll get you put in jail!!!!!!!!So, I take my coins and wiegh them then take them to the rock shop and wiegh them or take them to the coin store and wiegh them.....at the coin shop I get a reciept that shows I had them wieghed.......which just makes good sense......I think however with this coin?....I might do an alcohol displacement test as well as a weigth test cuz the shape across the coin is kinda wierd in a few spots.....it'll probably make up for itself but we'll see.....since alcohol doesn't pile up like water does across a vessel, I can figure it's volume in alcohol and then test another nickel and compare it......then wieght it and a regular 1967 nickel as well....we'll see what happens on monday.

                                  Nathan Simmons

> [...]

                                  > the edge. I got it early yesterday morning and to my absolute thrill, the edges
                                  > were like the one I saw as a kid with copper showing through the edges where
                                  > copper showed on the front and back as well leading me to think that the copper
                                  > was is a fully connected metal through the coin mixed along with the nickel.
                                  >   Anybody have any comments?.....as per rarity or value,....even grade, I
                                  > already know the grade ain't that swooft so I'm not so impressed by that aspect
                                  > of it but would welcome comments...already have one comment but please, "that
                                  > someone" comment again if you will.......Note here,.....there's a spot on the
                                  > rim of the coin where the copper seems to make the rim thinner where the copper
                                  > occurs...but the rim gets thicker too at the opposing side where there is also
                                  > some copper, it's just wierd.....I love stuff like this.

                                • colonialjohn
                                  Message 18 of 19 , Apr 17, 2011
                                    Something similar ... here? I agree it should be XRF tested or minimally weighed. I think Mike Diamond could do an interesting group of articles on this matter. What is the standard methodology at the grading services for these types of errors. Is it poor annealing? Is the most oxidized metal in the alloy coming out at us? This looks plated. What do the boundaries of one metal to the next have to appear-like for it to be a true mixed alloy. How do we eliminate improper annealing here? What about a modern plated counterfeit? Tell-tale signs. I have examined hundreds of contemporary counterfeits with various alloys in the colonial era and post colonial era to 1850. To me its easy to be spot a China fake when compared to a true contemporary - however - This is something different on these 20th century coins. I mean its a different school here. See this Potter article below:

                                    Starting in 2000 when the Sacagawea dollars were first released to the public, collectors began finding coins with surface discoloration that ranged from light to dark and spotty to relatively uniform. Colors ranged from all shades of brown to olive-green to gray or nearly black with a touch of iridescence thrown in for good measure. Nobody knew what the discoloration represented and after the hobby made several inquires to the Mint, the prevailing answer seemed to be that they were the result of incompletely or improperly washed planchets. To some it seemed a dubious answer but it was all we had. Additionally, it seemed that fewer were being found on later-date issues. This was probably because, like its predecessor, the Susan B. Anthony dollar, it flopped with the public and far fewer were minted after 2000 with those that were produced restricted to numismatic sales. In time the subject just fizzed out and was forgotten.
                                    With the release of the Presidential dollars starting in 2007, the Mint again put on a big push to make them circulate and minted them by the hundreds of millions. Almost immediately upon their release collectors learned that the Mint had inadvertently released major errors by the hundreds of thousands on the George Washington Presidential dollars and then a few months later by the tens of thousands on the John Adams dollars. These coins were either missing the mandated edge lettering or contained the edge lettering applied twice in error. Naturally, collectors began to look at their "golden dollars" much closer. As they did they found that in addition to the edge errors, starting with the Washington dollars and throughout the entire series minted so far, that some of the coins were discolored and were turning up in quantities worth noting (though nothing near the quantities of the plain-edge and double-edge lettered dollars).
                                    Interestingly, the hobby still does not seem to agree on what these discolored dollars represent! Some refer to them as improperly washed, others, such as ANACS refers to them as "Improperly Mixed Alloy" and still others such as PCGS refer to them as struck on "Sintered Planchets" while NGC calls them "Improperly Annealed Planchets."
                                    NGC describes them on their website as follows: "A planchet may also pick up a coating if it is improperly annealed. This is a somewhat common error but one that is very difficult to authenticate. "Improper annealing is often confused with toning coins. Unfortunately, improperly annealed planchets can take on a variety of colors from black to copper red. They are caused by over heating the planchets." None of the other major grading services offer a description of the error that I could find.
                                    In a September 22, 2008 Coin World article, Paul Gilkes quotes senior metallurgist, Chris Pilliod for Carpenter Technology of Pa. as saying, "without analyzing a piece it is all speculation on the Mint's part and on my own." Pilliod then went on to suggest that the discoloration could be the result of oxidation of the manganese in the coin's alloy, (manganese oxidizes more readily than the copper, nickel and zinc that makes up the remainder of the alloy). Pilliod also suggested that the discoloration could be the result of improper annealing saying that breaking the vacuum seal to allow more oxygen into the furnace could increase the temperature above the desired level. Gilkes also reported that one of Pilliod's colleagues, J.D. Bonn, Sr. suggested that the discoloration could be the result of improper alloy mix or if spotty could be the result of an incomplete rinse. Clearly, without actual testing, these sources, could offer little more than what had already been speculated upon by others.
                                    So the question remains, what is the cause? My guess is that there is a variety of causes for the different effects but the question still remains, what causes result in what effects? Does anybody have any ideas? I'd like to hear from you! Contact me at: kpotter256@...

                                    John Lorenzo
                                    Midland Park, NJ