RE: 2000P Jefferson nickel die clash

  • innff@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27, 2011
      Just thought that I would share this counter clash (Type I) with you folks. After I have completed all the pictures, it will be post on MADdieclashes.com. I am not to sure what was with the Jefferson nickel minted by Philadelphia in 2000, but some strong die clashes have been found from the mint/year.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27, 2011
        That's a great example of a nickel with multiple clash marks. You might want to draw an arrow to the Type I counterclash, as I don't see it in the photos.

      • innff@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 27, 2011
          Better yet, I just did the pictures showing the counter clash.

          While the first area is a jumble of letters, regular clash marks and counter clash marks, the hair on Jefferson's head shows as a counter clash.

          This picture shows the counter clash left by the base of Monticello and some parts of the S in CENTS.

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 27, 2011
            Thanks, BJ. I can see them clearly now.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, innff@... wrote:

            > Better yet, I just did the pictures showing the counter clash.
            >

            > While the first area is a jumble of letters, regular clash marks and
            > counter clash marks, the hair on Jefferson's head shows as a counter clash.
            >

            > This picture shows the counter clash left by the base of Monticello and
            > some parts of the S in CENTS.
            >
            > In a message dated 3/27/2011 9:59:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            > mdia1@... writes:
            >

            > That's a great example of a nickel with multiple clash marks. You might
            > want to draw an arrow to the Type I counterclash, as I don't see it in the
            > photos.
            >
            > --- In _errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com_
            > (mailto:errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com) , innff@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Just thought that I would share this counter clash (Type I) with you
            > folks.
            > > After I have completed all the pictures, it will be post on
            > > MADdieclashes.com. I am not to sure what was with the Jefferson nickel
            > minted by
            > > Philadelphia in 2000, but some strong die clashes have been found from
            > the
            > > mint/year.

          • Steve Frank
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 27, 2011
              I can too!! (which is an oddity for me<s>)

              It's probably written up in the definitions in the clash types...but I'll ask here rather than try to dig it out.

              When you say "Counter Clash", I get the picture of die that has been clashed transfering those clashmarks back to the die the clashmarks came from, and in tht case, the effect would be the opposite of the original clash marks, causing the areas to raise. If I'm correct, someone not knowledgeable (me) might mistake this for a double strike....albeit a very weak double strike. But since the original clash will be present, it should not be confusing at all to someone who knows about these. (people here)

              It's not easy to impress me with errors, but I really like this!! It gives me somethinng to check on my colonials. As you probably know, clash marks abound on British halfpence, and are present on many colonials, a very obvious being a Connecticut variety with a very clear date and exergue line showing at the top of the obverse. (I don't collect Connecticuts so I can't give the die variety)................so Now I have to check my clashes for counterclashes!!

              This is a great group!! My reason for joining was to learn something, and I definitely know more than I did before, and I thank you guys for the education!!

                          Steve Frank

            • innff@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 27, 2011
                Try this link;

                http://maddieclashes.com/Type_I_and_II_counter_clash.html

                However, remember colonials are considered to be pre-modern if they have a die clash. Modern die clashes are considered to be anything from 1836 onward (automated coin press).

                In a message dated 3/27/2011 11:20:24 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, taxi_steve929@... writes:

                I can too!! (which is an oddity for me<s>)

                It's probably written up in the definitions in the clash types...but I'll ask here rather than try to dig it out.

                When you say "Counter Clash", I get the picture of die that has been clashed transfering those clashmarks back to the die the clashmarks came from, and in tht case, the effect would be the opposite of the original clash marks, causing the areas to raise. If I'm correct, someone not knowledgeable (me) might mistake this for a double strike....albeit a very weak double strike. But since the original clash will be present, it should not be confusing at all to someone who knows about these. (people here)

                It's not easy to impress me with errors, but I really like this!! It gives me somethinng to check on my colonials. As you probably know, clash marks abound on British halfpence, and are present on many colonials, a very obvious being a Connecticut variety with a very clear date and exergue line showing at the top of the obverse. (I don't collect Connecticuts so I can't give the die variety)................so Now I have to check my clashes for counterclashes!!

                This is a great group!! My reason for joining was to learn something, and I definitely know more than I did before, and I thank you guys for the education!!

                            Steve Frank

                > Better yet, I just did the pictures showing the counter clash.
                >

                > While the first area is a jumble of letters, regular clash marks and
                > counter clash marks, the hair on Jefferson's head shows as a counter clash.
                >

                > This picture shows the counter clash left by the base of Monticello and
                > some parts of the S in CENTS.
                >
                > In a message dated 3/27/2011 9:59:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                > mdia1@... writes:
                >

                > That's a great example of a nickel with multiple clash marks. You might
                > want to draw an arrow to the Type I counterclash, as I don't see it in the
                > photos.
                >
                > --- In _errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com_
                > (mailto:errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com) , innff@ wrote:
                > >
                > > Just thought that I would share this counter clash (Type I) with you
                > folks.
                > > After I have completed all the pictures, it will be post on
                > > MADdieclashes.com. I am not to sure what was with the Jefferson nickel
                > minted by
                > > Philadelphia in 2000, but some strong die clashes have been found from
                > the
                > > mint/year.

              • Steve Frank
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 27, 2011
                  Thank you for the link. 1836. American coins or all? I'll check the link out right after I post a new thread. (I'm sorry, but I don't have the names memorized here yet)

                              Steve

                • innff@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 27, 2011
                    Just American coins.