This is hillarious!!

  • Steve Frank
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011

      Not only impossible to have the same exact die responsible for a two headed coin, which there have been very few, but they do exist on colonial era counterfeits(obviously different dies)...but this guy shows two obverses, and the photo shows the exact same stains and nicks on each coin.....
    • Rob Risi
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011
        and sadly someone bidded the 30 bucks....

        ~ROB RISI~

        Not only impossible to have the same exact die responsible for a two headed coin, which there have been very few, but they do exist on colonial era counterfeits(obviously different dies)...but this guy shows two obverses, and the photo shows the exact same stains and nicks on each coin.....

      • nathan simmons
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011
          hahahahaha....even I stepped back from that one ........ geeeeeesh!!!!

          Nathan

        • innff@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011
            I just asked the seller "why are they showing the same picture twice?" and requested a picture of the "other side". I just love people like this!

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011
              I asked him 2 hours ago for photos of the edge of the coin and asked him why he showed the same photo twice......as well.haven't heard back from him yet, don't suppose I will.......If it were real ( hypothetcially ) and we already know it ain't....that thing would be worth a heck of alot wouldn't it?...I mean the odds of that would be like one in a bazillion?

              Nathan

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011
                I got an answer. He is going to try and get more pictures on. Claims it could have been a staff error!

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011
                  As I said, I've owned several halfpence with either 2 heads or 2 tails, Geo II and III, and one that had the obverse of Geo II and GIII!! These were man made and I think called "Magicians halfpence" or something like that, obviously used for magic tricks and sometimes cheating. Usually you could see the seam, but as I told Nathan privately, there were a couple that were really well made, with the first coin shelled and the 2nd inserted. Some time obviously taken, and with no seam on the edge, it tood a strong glass to find where the work was done at the edge. They come up occasionally on ebay, but are not sold as errors, but manufactured 2 headed or tailed magician coins.

                  I don't own it, but there is only 1 I know of that is believed to be a legitimate 2 headed coin, and it's been through a lot of tests. Not sure if an x-ray would tell anything on these? I never handled it, but trust the people who have. If it isn't, its the best fake ever made, and that is entirely possible. To Nathan, and anyone else, anytime you see a two headed or tailed coin being sold, the first thing you check is if the dies are the same. More difficult on a modern coin, but easy on 18th century coins. If the dies are the same, it's an impossible coin, and most of the times when you see these, they are the same.

                             Steve

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011
                    lol....that reminds me of a seller I asked for better images because the scans were horrible. He said he would notify the tech deptartment.....which I assume meant he'd wait till his kid got out of school because he didn't know how to work the scanner.<s>