Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Jim Heine/ double struck cent

  • Steve Frank
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
    Xylol is xylene.

    ***Learn about xylol before using it. Never let a coin soak in Xylol. Always brush a coin before and after applying and then apply a little care or blue ribbon and if you wish to not use xylol, the brushing and addition of a thin layer of the preservative is recommended for long term storage.

    ***I NEVER do this with Mint State coins, but some do. It may affect toning.

    You can buy it at a hardware store, but usually in huge containers. I still use this little container. I have the 1/2 gallon out in the shed and refill this once a year. (I buy a lot of old coppers and it's the first thing I do. You have to brush the coin afterwards. Then you have to apply care or blue ribbon. I would suggest practicing with this. Don't leave the coin is this. Use a sterile Q-tip, wooden preferred...I forget why, but I went with the EAC suggestions. I've attached a photo of the xylol bottle I got from Rod Burress way back when and I still use it. (refills) Also the brush I use. I have it marked "wet"...others dry, and old ones to use for hard brushing really cruddy coins. I have 6 in total and they are great.

    Please remember I do not have many Mint State coins. I use the xylol on what I collect, but be careful as it may add a bluish hue to copper, as any preservative might. proper cleaning, or a better word, preservation, is a neccesity with copper coins. Just about every colonial coin you've seen sold through stacks or any other large auction house, slabbed or not slabbed, has had this very process performed.

              steve

    From: Steve Frank <taxi_steve929@...>
    To: errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 3:16 PM

    I've used xylol since an EAC member in the early 80's. when they say to make sure you use it in a well ventilated area, they aren't just being overly cautious. That combined with the distilled water rinsing and in my case, some care or blue ribbon lightly brushed on, then into an acid free paper holder.

    With verdigris, I also won't store them with my other coins...supposedly the coins have to be touching for the verdigris to spread from coin to coin, but why even chance that it can spread airborne when it's pretty easy to just keep them stored separately.

    I have som guys in another group who purchased that stuff being touted online and ebay that is supposed to eliminate verdigris, and so far, they've had mixed results, but I'm waiting to see if anything happens after a year. When removing verdigris, you will ineveitably leave some pitting, so it's up to the coin owner which he prefers. Regardless of the cleaning, I agree wholeheartly with Fred on keeping the card. Its history, adds something to provenance, and will increase the value to those who like that. It's like owning a Norweb coin with the Norweb holder, with the spider web on it....it's something collectors will pay extra to have.

    Message 2 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
      When you use the qtip with xylol, you'll see the pale green on the qtip....you can see the green on the brush picture I sent in the last email. This is what comes off of 250 year old copper coins. And once the preservative is applied, and the coin is in acid free envelope or sent to be slabbed, you won't have to worry about going to the bank, taking your attractive coin out to look at that you haven't seen in a few years, and find it's loaded up with verdgris.

      what exactly is xylol and where can one purchase it?

      I've used xylol since an EAC member in the early 80's. when they say to make sure you use it in a well ventilated area, they aren't just being overly cautious. That combined with the distilled water rinsing and in my case, some care or blue ribbon lightly brushed on, then into an acid free paper holder.

      With verdigris, I also won't store them with my other coins...supposedly the coins have to be touching for the verdigris to spread from coin to coin, but why even chance that it can spread airborne when it's pretty easy to just keep them stored separately.

      I have som guys in another group who purchased that stuff being touted online and ebay that is supposed to eliminate verdigris, and so far, they've had mixed results, but I'm waiting to see if anything happens after a year. When removing verdigris, you will ineveitably leave some pitting, so it's up to the coin owner which he prefers. Regardless of the cleaning, I agree wholeheartly with Fred on keeping the card. Its history, adds something to provenance, and will increase the value to those who like that. It's like owning a Norweb coin with the Norweb holder, with the spider web on it....it's something collectors will pay extra to have.

      The coin is real, and these "FDC"s were put together
      by Jim Heine, an active error collector in the
      San Diego area in the 60's and 70's.

      I'd suggest using acetone on the Cent when you
      get it - yes, it should be removed so that the
      pvc contamination stops; keep the cover - it's
      a nice momento of the earlier days of the error
      coin hobby......

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

      > sure looks like corrosion for sure and i wouldn't have gone higher than 25 bucks on such a coin....nice coin if it wasn't corroded....2 dates dsbs, but for 94 bucks, NO!
      >
      >    ~ROB RISI~

    • Michael Evanchik
      Message 3 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
        ok steve,what is blue ribbon?

        From: Michael Evanchik <ivan0000013@...>
        To: errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 3:16 PM

        ill give it a shot.thanks mike.maybe ill practice on a regular coin first.

        Message 4 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
          thanks for the info steve.

          what exactly is xylol and where can one purchase it?

          I've used xylol since an EAC member in the early 80's. when they say to make sure you use it in a well ventilated area, they aren't just being overly cautious. That combined with the distilled water rinsing and in my case, some care or blue ribbon lightly brushed on, then into an acid free paper holder.

          With verdigris, I also won't store them with my other coins...supposedly the coins have to be touching for the verdigris to spread from coin to coin, but why even chance that it can spread airborne when it's pretty easy to just keep them stored separately.

          I have som guys in another group who purchased that stuff being touted online and ebay that is supposed to eliminate verdigris, and so far, they've had mixed results, but I'm waiting to see if anything happens after a year. When removing verdigris, you will ineveitably leave some pitting, so it's up to the coin owner which he prefers. Regardless of the cleaning, I agree wholeheartly with Fred on keeping the card. Its history, adds something to provenance, and will increase the value to those who like that. It's like owning a Norweb coin with the Norweb holder, with the spider web on it....it's something collectors will pay extra to have.

          The coin is real, and these "FDC"s were put together
          by Jim Heine, an active error collector in the
          San Diego area in the 60's and 70's.

          I'd suggest using acetone on the Cent when you
          get it - yes, it should be removed so that the
          pvc contamination stops; keep the cover - it's
          a nice momento of the earlier days of the error
          coin hobby......

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

          > sure looks like corrosion for sure and i wouldn't have gone higher than 25 bucks on such a coin....nice coin if it wasn't corroded....2 dates dsbs, but for 94 bucks, NO!
          >
          >    ~ROB RISI~

        • Jon P. Sullivan
          Message 5 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
            It does appear to be corroded. Very neat item though, and I've seen these before but I don't know the history behind them. I believe they where some kind of error coin subscription (first day cover?) type of deal, put together by (maybe?) Lonesome John. Does anyone know more about them?

            Thanks,
            Jon

            Message 6 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
              I see my question was already answered-thanks Fred!

              Do you know if there are many of these still around? I know I've come across them a time or two.

              Thanks,
              Jon

              On Feb 6, 2011, at 11:04 AM, fred_weinberg wrote:

              The coin is real, and these "FDC"s were put together
              by Jim Heine, an active error collector in the
              San Diego area in the 60's and 70's.

              I'd suggest using acetone on the Cent when you
              get it - yes, it should be removed so that the
              pvc contamination stops; keep the cover - it's
              a nice momento of the earlier days of the error
              coin hobby......

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

              > sure looks like corrosion for sure and i wouldn't have gone higher than 25 bucks on such a coin....nice coin if it wasn't corroded....2 dates dsbs, but for 94 bucks, NO!
              >
              >    ~ROB RISI~

            • nathan simmons
              Message 7 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
                Hey there,

                Forgive me for butting in here, I haven't used this forum for a very long time but I need to ask a question about a coin. I just found a 1989 quarter that has no mint mark at all, do any of you know anything about this kind of error?....there is only a small indication of a raised area but it's too low for the mint mark's placement.

                Nathan Simmons

                Message 8 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
                  Hi Nathan,

                  It's struck through grease. There are a number of 1989-P 25c which are missing the mintmark due to being struck through grease, which covered the mintmark area. They're worth less than a $1. They received a lot of publicity when they where initially found, and I've heard they sold for a lot of money at the time (although not anymore.)

                  Jon

                  Message 9 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
                    Thanks Jon,
                      So basically it's an error but not one of those great,fabulous errors (hahaha) still though I think I'll keep this one and I'll go ahead and splurge on a gem case for it and give it to my son for his collection......thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

                    Nathan Simmons