Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: double struck cent

  • innff@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
      That also is my concern. Given that it has been in the same holder for 35 years, Verdi gris may have set in.

      In a message dated 2/6/2011 12:08:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, travisbolton543@... writes:

      I am concerned about the reverse of this coin, it looks corroded in the picture. Otherwise it's a nice error.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Michael E" <ivan0000013@...> wrote:

      > I dont usually post things like this but i was so excited i just had to.i cant beleive there wasnt much interest in this cent.unless its fake and i just got taken,id pay $100 all day for this error type.to me it seems to be a 1974 lincoln memorial cent, double struck, with an indent on the second strike.it has 2 full dates and is DSBS.these double dated cents have been garnering very strong prices lately,so for the price,i think it was a steal.best regards,mike e.
      >
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=280623144405&si=bPVT4jcOf6bQdzDd2uEsPQu0qiE%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSA%3AUS%3A1123

    • Rob Risi
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
        sure looks like corrosion for sure and i wouldn't have gone higher than 25 bucks on such a coin....nice coin if it wasn't corroded....2 dates dsbs, but for 94 bucks, NO!

        ~ROB RISI~

        im hoping its just some schmutz on the plastic covering.

        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
          The coin is real, and these "FDC"s were put together
          by Jim Heine, an active error collector in the
          San Diego area in the 60's and 70's.

          I'd suggest using acetone on the Cent when you
          get it - yes, it should be removed so that the
          pvc contamination stops; keep the cover - it's
          a nice momento of the earlier days of the error
          coin hobby......

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

          > sure looks like corrosion for sure and i wouldn't have gone higher than 25 bucks on such a coin....nice coin if it wasn't corroded....2 dates dsbs, but for 94 bucks, NO!
          >
          >    ~ROB RISI~

        • Michael Evanchik
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
            well i guess i may haved gotten a bit taken.i really didnt think it was that bad.to fred,ive never cleaned/conserved any coin ive ever had.is that something you would/could do for me as i dont want to damage it further? i dont mind paying a fee to make sure it is done correctly.thanks,mike e.

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
              Acetone won't harm a copper-alloy cent. Just get a small container at your local hardware or drug store. Leave the coin in for 30 seconds to a minute (or longer, if necessary) until the as much as the green crud as possible is dissolved. Then remove and rinse with distilled water.

              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
                ill give it a shot.thanks mike.maybe ill practice on a regular coin first.

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
                  I've used xylol since an EAC member in the early 80's. when they say to make sure you use it in a well ventilated area, they aren't just being overly cautious. That combined with the distilled water rinsing and in my case, some care or blue ribbon lightly brushed on, then into an acid free paper holder.

                  With verdigris, I also won't store them with my other coins...supposedly the coins have to be touching for the verdigris to spread from coin to coin, but why even chance that it can spread airborne when it's pretty easy to just keep them stored separately.

                  I have som guys in another group who purchased that stuff being touted online and ebay that is supposed to eliminate verdigris, and so far, they've had mixed results, but I'm waiting to see if anything happens after a year. When removing verdigris, you will ineveitably leave some pitting, so it's up to the coin owner which he prefers. Regardless of the cleaning, I agree wholeheartly with Fred on keeping the card. Its history, adds something to provenance, and will increase the value to those who like that. It's like owning a Norweb coin with the Norweb holder, with the spider web on it....it's something collectors will pay extra to have.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
                    what exactly is xylol and where can one purchase it?

                    I've used xylol since an EAC member in the early 80's. when they say to make sure you use it in a well ventilated area, they aren't just being overly cautious. That combined with the distilled water rinsing and in my case, some care or blue ribbon lightly brushed on, then into an acid free paper holder.

                    With verdigris, I also won't store them with my other coins...supposedly the coins have to be touching for the verdigris to spread from coin to coin, but why even chance that it can spread airborne when it's pretty easy to just keep them stored separately.

                    I have som guys in another group who purchased that stuff being touted online and ebay that is supposed to eliminate verdigris, and so far, they've had mixed results, but I'm waiting to see if anything happens after a year. When removing verdigris, you will ineveitably leave some pitting, so it's up to the coin owner which he prefers. Regardless of the cleaning, I agree wholeheartly with Fred on keeping the card. Its history, adds something to provenance, and will increase the value to those who like that. It's like owning a Norweb coin with the Norweb holder, with the spider web on it....it's something collectors will pay extra to have.

                    The coin is real, and these "FDC"s were put together
                    by Jim Heine, an active error collector in the
                    San Diego area in the 60's and 70's.

                    I'd suggest using acetone on the Cent when you
                    get it - yes, it should be removed so that the
                    pvc contamination stops; keep the cover - it's
                    a nice momento of the earlier days of the error
                    coin hobby......

                    --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

                    > sure looks like corrosion for sure and i wouldn't have gone higher than 25 bucks on such a coin....nice coin if it wasn't corroded....2 dates dsbs, but for 94 bucks, NO!
                    >
                    >    ~ROB RISI~

                  • Steve Frank
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
                      Mike gave you the safest bet. It will not do anything to hurt the coin. It amazed me when I received some coins I won in the Ford sales...after giving them a good brushing, (light so you don't remove the "good" patina, then using some blue ribbon before storing, the incredible difference. These coins were locked up and untouched for so long, and I recommend brushing copper coins at least every 2nd year, and if possible, once a year. I've since sold the coins, and wish I had saved the before and after photos. These were incredible coins to begin with and just became amazing after the proper preservation steps were taken.

                      ill give it a shot.thanks mike.maybe ill practice on a regular coin first.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
                      Xylol is xylene.

                      ***Learn about xylol before using it. Never let a coin soak in Xylol. Always brush a coin before and after applying and then apply a little care or blue ribbon and if you wish to not use xylol, the brushing and addition of a thin layer of the preservative is recommended for long term storage.

                      ***I NEVER do this with Mint State coins, but some do. It may affect toning.

                      You can buy it at a hardware store, but usually in huge containers. I still use this little container. I have the 1/2 gallon out in the shed and refill this once a year. (I buy a lot of old coppers and it's the first thing I do. You have to brush the coin afterwards. Then you have to apply care or blue ribbon. I would suggest practicing with this. Don't leave the coin is this. Use a sterile Q-tip, wooden preferred...I forget why, but I went with the EAC suggestions. I've attached a photo of the xylol bottle I got from Rod Burress way back when and I still use it. (refills) Also the brush I use. I have it marked "wet"...others dry, and old ones to use for hard brushing really cruddy coins. I have 6 in total and they are great.

                      Please remember I do not have many Mint State coins. I use the xylol on what I collect, but be careful as it may add a bluish hue to copper, as any preservative might. proper cleaning, or a better word, preservation, is a neccesity with copper coins. Just about every colonial coin you've seen sold through stacks or any other large auction house, slabbed or not slabbed, has had this very process performed.

                                steve

                      Message 11 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
                        When you use the qtip with xylol, you'll see the pale green on the qtip....you can see the green on the brush picture I sent in the last email. This is what comes off of 250 year old copper coins. And once the preservative is applied, and the coin is in acid free envelope or sent to be slabbed, you won't have to worry about going to the bank, taking your attractive coin out to look at that you haven't seen in a few years, and find it's loaded up with verdgris.

                        Message 12 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
                          ok steve,what is blue ribbon?

                          Message 13 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
                            thanks for the info steve.

                            what exactly is xylol and where can one purchase it?

                            I've used xylol since an EAC member in the early 80's. when they say to make sure you use it in a well ventilated area, they aren't just being overly cautious. That combined with the distilled water rinsing and in my case, some care or blue ribbon lightly brushed on, then into an acid free paper holder.

                            With verdigris, I also won't store them with my other coins...supposedly the coins have to be touching for the verdigris to spread from coin to coin, but why even chance that it can spread airborne when it's pretty easy to just keep them stored separately.

                            I have som guys in another group who purchased that stuff being touted online and ebay that is supposed to eliminate verdigris, and so far, they've had mixed results, but I'm waiting to see if anything happens after a year. When removing verdigris, you will ineveitably leave some pitting, so it's up to the coin owner which he prefers. Regardless of the cleaning, I agree wholeheartly with Fred on keeping the card. Its history, adds something to provenance, and will increase the value to those who like that. It's like owning a Norweb coin with the Norweb holder, with the spider web on it....it's something collectors will pay extra to have.

                            The coin is real, and these "FDC"s were put together
                            by Jim Heine, an active error collector in the
                            San Diego area in the 60's and 70's.

                            I'd suggest using acetone on the Cent when you
                            get it - yes, it should be removed so that the
                            pvc contamination stops; keep the cover - it's
                            a nice momento of the earlier days of the error
                            coin hobby......

                            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

                            > sure looks like corrosion for sure and i wouldn't have gone higher than 25 bucks on such a coin....nice coin if it wasn't corroded....2 dates dsbs, but for 94 bucks, NO!
                            >
                            >    ~ROB RISI~

                          • Jon P. Sullivan
                            Message 14 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
                              It does appear to be corroded. Very neat item though, and I've seen these before but I don't know the history behind them. I believe they where some kind of error coin subscription (first day cover?) type of deal, put together by (maybe?) Lonesome John. Does anyone know more about them?

                              Thanks,
                              Jon

                              Message 15 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
                                I see my question was already answered-thanks Fred!

                                Do you know if there are many of these still around? I know I've come across them a time or two.

                                Thanks,
                                Jon

                                On Feb 6, 2011, at 11:04 AM, fred_weinberg wrote:

                                The coin is real, and these "FDC"s were put together
                                by Jim Heine, an active error collector in the
                                San Diego area in the 60's and 70's.

                                I'd suggest using acetone on the Cent when you
                                get it - yes, it should be removed so that the
                                pvc contamination stops; keep the cover - it's
                                a nice momento of the earlier days of the error
                                coin hobby......

                                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

                                > sure looks like corrosion for sure and i wouldn't have gone higher than 25 bucks on such a coin....nice coin if it wasn't corroded....2 dates dsbs, but for 94 bucks, NO!
                                >
                                >    ~ROB RISI~

                              • nathan simmons
                                Message 16 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
                                  Hey there,

                                  Forgive me for butting in here, I haven't used this forum for a very long time but I need to ask a question about a coin. I just found a 1989 quarter that has no mint mark at all, do any of you know anything about this kind of error?....there is only a small indication of a raised area but it's too low for the mint mark's placement.

                                  Nathan Simmons

                                  Message 17 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
                                    Hi Nathan,

                                    It's struck through grease. There are a number of 1989-P 25c which are missing the mintmark due to being struck through grease, which covered the mintmark area. They're worth less than a $1. They received a lot of publicity when they where initially found, and I've heard they sold for a lot of money at the time (although not anymore.)

                                    Jon

                                    Message 18 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011
                                      Thanks Jon,
                                        So basically it's an error but not one of those great,fabulous errors (hahaha) still though I think I'll keep this one and I'll go ahead and splurge on a gem case for it and give it to my son for his collection......thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

                                      Nathan Simmons