RE: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: error ...or??

  • Lee Lydston
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2011

      Wouldn’t that have discolored the copper?

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2011
        Not necessarily. The changing of color is caused by copper oxide which is formed by a reaction to the oxygen in the air when the copper is being heated. A reducing agent, such as hydrogen, will reduce the copper oxide on the surface layer and return the copper to its original state of color. A mild abrasive will also do the same.

        If you remember the copper bottom pots and pans; they discolored when heat was applied to them. However, a mild abrasive brought the original color back.