Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] error ...or??

  • Rob Risi
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2011
      To me it looks like post strike damage, NOT AN ERROR, but im not 100% sure...I'm 75% sure, but you should get an answer soon from others.

      ~ROB RISI~

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2011

        I see post strike damage as well since I cannot imagine how a crumpled planchet (such as the coin displayed) could possibly receive an impression in the recesses of the crumpled area without getting straightened out flat.

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2011
          I agree that the warped surfaces are not something a coinage press would produce. The coin was altered outside the Mint, possibly by the application of heat.

        • innff@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2011
            Just to add to Mike's post. Since this is a zinc core Lincoln cent, applied heat is the most likely cause for warping or deformation. Zinc has a melt point of 787.15 degrees F., while copper has a melt point of  1984.32 degrees F. What this means is that the zinc can be melted inside the copper plate and moved around creating weird shapes, dents, bulges and weights. All this can be accomplished on a kitchen stove.

            In a message dated 2/2/2011 9:43:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, mdia1@... writes:

            I agree that the warped surfaces are not something a coinage press would produce. The coin was altered outside the Mint, possibly by the application of heat.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mytidawg" <vfalcone_1@...> wrote:

            > Hi y'all
            >
            > I am helping a customer with this piece...to me this 1997 D Lincoln cent "so-called" error looks man-made (a destroyed penny)
            >
            > I told him I would put it up here for the "experts" to review.....his biggest concern is the color of the penny.....did it miss a "wash" in its process?
            >
            > any and all feedback is appreciated
            >
            > coin can be seen at
            >
            > http://www.falconecoins.com/penny1
            >
            > and
            >
            > http://www.falconecoins.com/penny2
            >
            > sorry for the blurry pics
            >
            > VF

          • Lee Lydston
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2011

              Wouldn’t that have discolored the copper?

            • innff@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2011
                Not necessarily. The changing of color is caused by copper oxide which is formed by a reaction to the oxygen in the air when the copper is being heated. A reducing agent, such as hydrogen, will reduce the copper oxide on the surface layer and return the copper to its original state of color. A mild abrasive will also do the same.

                If you remember the copper bottom pots and pans; they discolored when heat was applied to them. However, a mild abrasive brought the original color back.