One Anna Coin 1939 India - Indent Error

  • sridhar
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2011
      I have a rare indent error one anna coin of 1939 from India. The coin is in UNC condition. On the obverse it has several die marks besides that of one anna. The bow tie like mark from the crown of another coin is visible across the nose. A smaller ear can be seen below the ear of George VI. In front of the jaw the word PICE is visible. Below this the letters DIA from the word India can be partially seen. Flowers from the reverse of one rupee coin are sprinkled over the coin. Strikes of other dies both obverse and reverse can be observed. Can any one make out what other dies have been used on the coin? All this can be seen only on magnification. The coin has a brown mark running across both on the obverse and reverse. Was the mark acquired during minting? This coin is in our collection from 1940's. What could be the value of the coin? I have uploaded the image files anna1.jpg and anna2.jpg
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2011
        We call this kind of error a "partial brockage". A previously-struck coin was struck into the planchet represented by your coin. This left some incuse (sunken), mirror-image design elements in the recessed area. I suspect it would bring $25 - $50 on eBay.