JUST BACKK FROM THE PHILLY CONVENTION CENTER WHITMAN EXPO - DAY 1

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2010
      Hi, I just flew in and are my arms tired. (Sorry)

      No actually, I Amtracked it from NYC (total 74.50 R/T.) I decided to give it another shot, especially because I didn't go to Boston last month because the wife wanted to go elsewhere. (So I'm pw'd. Many of you guys are too). The trip is only 1:18 each way city to city + subways..not bad. I just missed this bad weather, but it may have scared dealers and the public away. As you can see from this photo, it was sparsely attended.

      http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/5047/077d.jpg%5b/IMG][/URL]

      This new idea of many coin show hours: early birds $75 from 10-noon and then public open noon - 6 on day 1 stinks. Nevertheless, It was easy to take the whole thing in here today.

      Error dealers on hand were Rich Schemmer and Mike Maino. A feww other errors were picked up on the floor, but none of those would I write home about.

      Perhaps due to the weather, 21 tables within the aisles were not set up. Empty. Awol. Much more than I have ever seen at any show.

      Up front was a beautiful display of the 'U.S. Mon's Greatest Errors', put together by Nicholas Brown of Majestic Rarities. After seeking him out and meeting for the first time, he gladly granted me permission to photograph everything there (again I had the wrong camera) for use as I may on ECIE. He even offerred to open the cases for me, but I didn't want him to. (still shooting thru a slab). He coauthored the new book, '100 Greatest US Error Coins' along by with David Camire and Fred Weinberg.

      I took many pix, and will share a taste of the delicious eye candy here now:

      [URL=http://img841.imageshack.us/i/082edited1.jpg/%5d[IMG]http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/8408/082edited1.jpg%5b/IMG][/URL]

      [URL=http://img214.imageshack.us/i/098edited1.jpg/%5d[IMG]http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7749/098edited1.jpg%5b/IMG][/URL]

      [URL=http://img819.imageshack.us/i/101edited1.jpg/%5d[IMG]http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/702/101edited1.jpg%5b/IMG][/URL]

      I have permission to show others if it is ok.

      The show was a dud, good for you staying home this year Fred. Perhaps better waether and the weekend will bring in a bigger croud (and no-show dealers).