Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: CAP CLASH - BROCKAGE COMBO

  • Jon P. Sullivan
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2010
      I saw the coin and had a bid of $50 or so on it. Neat coin, but I agree with Mike that the seller certainly "got lucky"! It's not even in that nice a grade.

      Jon

      On Aug 31, 2010, at 12:20 PM, Mike Diamond wrote:

      Yes, indeed. It's a clashed cap strike. You have both a primary brockage and a secondary brockage here. The primary brockage is the expanded one, largely represented by the letters "OF A" and "IBUS". It has largely been replaced by a secondary brockage generated by a clashed cap. This is the smaller, more complete brockage. A die cap that was striking brockages rotated, struck the reverse die directly, struck a few more planchets, and then struck the planchet represented by the auction coin.

      Another unusual thing about it is that the primary brockage is offset. That means that the die cap that generated it started out as an off-center coin, or the cap shifted shortly after formation.

      I'm used to seeing these sell on eBay for $50 - $75. The seller got lucky.