1955 double die

  • Rob Risi
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2010
      Hello everyone....i would like to know if anybody knows an approx value of a 1955 double die cent, (the good one) in a nice MS63 RB, NGC certified.....this coin i have is 80% red.
      i never owned such a coin and i have one i need to sell for a friend of mine who has had this coin for 35 years and wants to sell it and has no idea of value today.
      im thinking $3500-4000, as i know they vary in price/eye appeal.
      this example i have is a nice ms63 RB....
      Thanks
      Rob

      ~ROB RISI~

    • jeff ylitalo
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 28, 2010
        Rob-

        Go directly to price guides on line to find your anwer and knock off 1/3 the price for raw.

        Thats a general rule of thumb for a non-slabbed specimen for most coins regardless.

        Jeff

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 28, 2010
          I would say that what Jeff told you is a good start, but there are more factors. If you would consider the coin a highly attractive NGC 63 R&B 80% Red it might bring more, and as with any auction, timing....all I've ever gotten when selling was a ball park figure, with some very wide variations in the price....the biggest factor being timing. How many people need it, or would consider it an upgrade? If sold through auction, which I usually do, you can walk away shaking your head because it didn't hit your low estimate or you can walk away in disbelief that the coin sold for so much. I always research auction catalogs, ebay, and as you're doing now, ask those who collect for opinion. Arrive at some sort of concensus, and then at sale time, you're either disappointed or elated. If the coin is dripping with eye-appeal, con't sell it on the slab alone....show it off, and make sure people can see it in the coin. If it's a 63 that is really nothing to write home about, but just made the grade by the skin of it's teeth, sell the slab and be honest so you don't get a returned product. Another good option is if you are personal friends with a reliable dealer here, hand it to him to show around as I'm sure error collectors know he has what they're looking for and will seek him out, and the more eyes, the higher the price, and well worth the commission fee. I had a coin I was willing to part with for 2,500-3,000 a couple months back and gave it to a friend to bring to a convention to get opinions on....I knew the coin just didn't photograph well, but in hand was an absolute monster for the variety....He called me and said he was offered 5,000 for the coin and I almost fell over. I had to beg him to take 10% which was minimal considering I would never have been able to personally expose the coin to so many. I still feel I owe him a few dinners!!!  I know I rambled pretty bad here, but it's just one of those questions that when people ask me, there is just no definitive answer other than 1 increment over what the 2nd highest bidder will pay.<s>

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2010
            this is a pretty good one i use alot.for good slabs(ocgs,ngc) the better then common usually bring close to these.common even seems a bit less.and as jeff said,take at least 30% off.

            http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 28, 2010
              Go to Heritage and search through their completed auctions for similar coins.  Should be a few comps there.

              Howard