Delicious shattered die

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24 7:19 PM
      This 1896 Bolivia 50 centavos shows a badly shattered obverse die and a profusion of cracks on the reverse die:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110561207158

      I was surprised, but pleased, that I was the sole bidder.
    • jeff ylitalo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 24 8:07 PM
        Man, that is Sweet-!

      • innff@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 25 5:48 AM
          Here is one for you Mike.

          I am not to sure how long this die lasted.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 25 6:11 AM
            Very interesting. I seldom run across U.S. coins with this "crazed" look (crazed as in crazed pottery, not insane). There's no telling how long the die lasted, as even the most dramatically cracked dies (e.g., the Broas pie civil war token) can last a long time.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, innff@... wrote:

            > Here is one for you Mike.
            >

            > I am not to sure how long this die lasted.

          • Steve Frank
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 25 2:24 PM
              I'd think that with modern coins they would not let something like this stay in production long whether it totally shattered or not and would probably not release it if caught and if others not seen it could be a terminal state with the die shattering very shortly after, and perhaps on the subsequent strike. Now that it's known, I'm sure others will be breaking out the glass for this date. With colonials, the latest die state is generally the rarest, however, there are coins where the earliest die state is the rarest.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 25 2:36 PM
                Not so. There are five or six shattered obverse (anvil) dies known among 2007-P dimes.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 26 8:30 AM
                  For modern coins, it's not a question about letting a shattered die stay in production. At a rate of 750 coins per minute, many coins will be produced before the defect is noticed and before the press is stopped. For example there are 5-6 shattered obverse (anvil) dies known among 2007-P dimes.