Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Fw: 1957 D penny

  • Steve Frank
    Message 1 of 7 , May 24, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 42 KB
    Unless someone has seen this exact pattern before, I don't think it's possible to do more than guess whether a lamination, struck through, or post strike damage. Anything on my part anyway without coin in hand would be a guess....I've attached it here again in the proper alignment....the pattern is too uniform for me to believe it is a lamination, so if I were to guess, it would be a struck through and someone at the mint might be able to tell what it was that got between the die and planchet.....or as I said, post strike damage is still possible...it would be nice to see the rim and edge.

    From: William Polkinghorn <wpknapper@yahoo. com>
    Subject: 1957 D penny
    To: mdia1@...
    Date: Friday, May 21, 2010, 5:17 PM

    Mike,
    I was hoping that you can tell me anything about this penny that I found.  The reverse is fine but the face is fine (detail) except for the scrape that runs through the face.  I hope you can tell by the pic. If you open with Adobe Reader7.0 you can zoom in, I hope.

    Thank You, Bill P.

    Message 2 of 7 , May 24, 2010
      It's definitely a lamination error. Its appearance is absolutely typical of such errors.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Steve Frank <taxi_steve929@...> wrote:

      > Unless someone has seen this exact pattern before, I don't think it's possible to do more than guess whether a lamination, struck through, or post strike damage. Anything on my part anyway without coin in hand would be a guess....I've attached it here again in the proper alignment....the pattern is too uniform for me to believe it is a lamination, so if I were to guess, it would be a struck through and someone at the mint might be able to tell what it was that got between the die and planchet.....or as I said, post strike damage is still possible...it would be nice to see the rim and edge.

    • William Polkinghorn
      Message 3 of 7 , May 24, 2010
        thanks to all .Steve  as far as the rim and edge goes they seem to be fine except for a very very slight depression on the obverse when viewed with 10x loop . thanks

        Message 4 of 7 , May 25, 2010
          I'll go with you on this one...for some reason the ones I've seen on nickles and such haven't been this uniform......but this is definitely not my area of expertise.