Could this possibly be a proof?

    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2010
      This off-center 1964 nickel shows a proof-like surface:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220593866851

      However, the planchet doesn't look like a proof planchet. I suspect it's just an early die state. But I'll know more after I get it.
    • innff@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2010
        Very nice error and it does have the appearance of being a proof with its mirror like field.

        In a message dated 5/3/2010 9:21:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mdia1@... writes:

        This off-center 1964 nickel shows a proof-like surface:

        http://cgi.ebay. com/ws/eBayISAPI .dll?ViewItem& item=22059386685 1

        However, the planchet doesn't look like a proof planchet. I suspect it's just an early die state. But I'll know more after I get it.

      • Jon P. Sullivan
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2010
          It could be, I agree, but as you doubtless know, there are many 1964 nickels with very mirror-like fields. But you never know, and I can't say myself either way from the photos.

          Jon
          Sullivan Numismatics
          Your Source for Quality Errors & Varieties
          Office (931-729-2637
          Members: ANA, CONECA, FUN
          NGC Authorized Dealer

          On May 3, 2010, at 8:21 AM, Mike Diamond wrote:

          This off-center 1964 nickel shows a proof-like surface:

          http://cgi.ebay. com/ws/eBayISAPI .dll?ViewItem& item=22059386685 1

          However, the planchet doesn't look like a proof planchet. I suspect it's just an early die state. But I'll know more after I get it.

        • Rob Risi
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2010
            could be a reflection, but for $26 its well worth a shot and even if its not a proof, it went for a fair price for an early fully dated o/c coin....i was going to bid on it but didn't factor in the possibility of it being a proof.
            Rob

            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2010
              Based on what I've seen on this date over the years,
              the proof-like surfaces are fairly common, and due to
              the excess pressure of it being on top of another plan.
              when it was struck (ie; the uniface reverse).

              Fred

              Message 6 of 6 , May 12, 2010
                I now have the coin and the planchet is definitely not a proof planchet. It does look like a very early die state (VEDS) because the field is mirror-like and the back of Jefferson's head has a frosted look under the microscope.