Star Burst Assistance, or Beaver with a Bright Idea!

  • Mike Marshall
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 83 KB
    Hello all.  Thank you Mike D. for the invite here.  I mainly deal with Canadian 5 cent errors and have literally hundreds.  Here is one I understand has been discussed here before but with American Dollar coins.  I believe it is a failing of the plating of the working die or a hardening of the die preplating.  Any thoughts appreciated.

  • Mike Marshall
    Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 40 KB
    Here is a close-up of the "fan effect"

    Message 3 of 4 , Mar 29, 2010
      Although nobody knows for sure (except, perhaps, the Mint -- and they're not talking), it looks to me like the breakdown of a surface treatment or coating.

      Message 4 of 4 , Mar 29, 2010
        I am searching for a mate to this coin.....most error collectors hide the coins for some reason.  A true loss.  Education and understanding can not be gained by hiding the coins which hides truth.  I love it when a coin like this appears and no answer is quick!  Regards  Mike