Re: From the Mike Byers' Museum

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28 8:45 AM
      Fascinating, indeed, but not the only peculiar planchet known from this year. There are the several coins struck on waffled 1/4 rupees. I have a 1964-D nickel that weighs a shade over 3 grams that was struck on a copper-plated, copper-nickel planchet and a 2.9 gram 1964-D nickel struck on a black planchet (but the underlying metal is nickel-colored). There is another one just like it and a third from 1962 (Philadelphia). I'm sure this is not a complete list. All sorts of wierd stuff (orphan off-metals, and discs that look nothing like a conventional planchet) winds up between the dies, and not just in 1964. I remember that undersized Ike dollar of yours struck on a defective clad planchet.