1998 P Washington Quarter

  • Arthur
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2010
      While going through a roll of Quarters I found a 1998P with a rotated rev.The eagles head lays at 8:00and also has an attrition error that starts at 11:00 and goes to about 10:00,from 10:00 to 11;00 it is a very thin rim.At 2:00 it thickens and at3:00 it starts to cover the base of Quarter (QUA)and covers half of UNITED STATES and top of the OF. On the obverse their is just inside the bridge of the nose a hollow spot that takes up most of the eye socket,half of the eyelid is their but very thick,also has some doubling in IN GOD WE TRUST. Any information I can get would help, Thanks Art.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2010
        Hi Art.

        Sounds like you have the combination die attrition/die damage/rotated die error that was reported recently in Coin World. A top-notch error. Check the die damage folder to see if the 1998-P die attrition error I posted is the same one you have.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2010

          > Hi Art.
          >
          > Sounds like you have the combination die attrition/die damage/rotated die error that was reported recently in Coin World. A top-notch error. Check the die damage folder to see if the 1998-P die attrition error I posted is the same one you have.
          >
          > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Arthur" <roadman016@> wrote:
          > >
          > > While going through a roll of Quarters I found a 1998P with a rotated rev.The eagles head lays at 8:00and also has an attrition error that starts at 11:00 and goes to about 10:00,from 10:00 to 11;00 it is a very thin rim.At 2:00 it thickens and at3:00 it starts to cover the base of Quarter (QUA)and covers half of UNITED STATES and top of the OF. On the obverse their is just inside the bridge of the nose a hollow spot that takes up most of the eye socket,half of the eyelid is their but very thick,also has some doubling in IN GOD WE TRUST. Any information I can get would help, Thanks Art.

          Yes is the same one do you have any more info and maybe a value,(ball park),I know I need to send it off for grading,will do soon. Thanks Art.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2010
            I e-mailed you a copy of my Errorscope article.

            Fred Weinberg now knows about these errors, but I don't know if PCGS accepts the designation "die attrition error". I really don't know if any of the other grading services are even aware of this error type. So if you send it into be accurately labeled, you may be disappointed.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2010
              I don't know its value. I've never seen a severe die attrition error sell under an accurate label. However, the rotated die error alone would be worth perhaps $75.