SPLIT BEFORE STRIKE - 2 COINS IN PRESS?

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
      This looks to me (?) to have split before struck, and a normal planchet on top in the press at the time of the strike:

      http://tinyurl.com/yl8smmk

      The reverse is extremely well struck, with high rim finning and strong rim and details. There are no contact marks on the struck recerse. The 'obverse' (split) side shows contact marks perhaps from the unstruck side of the normal planchet present, and again some cupping at the edges and high rims. I would have thought that a split before strike planchet otherwise would look much different, as there is no obverse die strike. Also too smooth to be post-strike split. (?)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
        Your diagnosis is correct, Marc. It's a full, in-collar uniface strike ("full indent") on a split planchet. The striated face was directed toward the reverse (anvil) die.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
          Thank you Mike...