Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Off-metal cent -- real or fake?

  • innff@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2009
      Mike - I can vouch that it is a 1943 coin. Luck for us, every four digit in the 1940 decade was different and this does appear to be the four digit used in 1943.

      As for the other anomalies, I leave it up to your expertise.

      BJ

      In a message dated 12/3/2009 12:26:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, mdia1@... writes:

      I guess a lot of people were suspicious of this one, since it sold for a little over $100:

      http://cgi.ebay. com/ws/eBayISAPI .dll?ViewItem& item=12049819844 2

      Only the first three digits of the date can be seen, so the claim that it's from 1943 is unsupported. It looks too small to be a dime planchet. The photos are quite good and show no evidence of metal flow in the design elements that border or are cut off at the edge of the coin. I'm wondering if it was resized outside the mint, then plated, then placed into circulation.

      The problem with that scenario is that the plating would have to be quite thin and would most likely have worn through, given the amount of wear seen.

      Any opinions?