Re: Poor abe

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2009
      thanks mike...just tried that and as I expected, is is solid. I'm sure its not rare, but pretty cool nonetheless.

      > These are fairly common among copper-plated zinc cents, especially the first few years of production. Some appear to be linear blisters while others appear to be die dents. If the ridge is fairly prominent and wide you can press gently upon it with the tip of a toothpick while observing it under a microscope. If the ridge flexes, then it's a blister (gas bubble). If it is rigid then it probably represents a die dent.
      >
      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scotttyson@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey everyone...Take a look at my latest find. I was looking at some partial mint sets at a local dealer and came across this anomoly. My best guess is that a tool dropped on the die or something scratched the die prior to this coin being struck,...take a look in the default picture folder under "speared abe". Pretty cool

    • William J. Pysnack
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2009

        I was going through some Lincolns a couple of weeks ago and found one that has a die crack from about 10 o’clock, through the field, across Abe’s portrait, through his eye and across the field in front of his face. I call it the “bullet path”, because he was suppose do have been shot from behind, just above and behind the right ear, with the bullet lodging behind the right eye. I took some close ups of it, but can’t seem to put my finger on it at the moment. Will try to upload it to the sight when I do find it. Bill....

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 18, 2009
          good call on the name...lol