Ike Off Center on Smaller Planchet Error Update: In Hand

  • ctf_error_coins
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2009
      Hi, first off I want the thank Mike on his help on diagnostics and in directing me to the correct resource to figure out exactly what I had.

      I got in the off the center Ike on smaller planchet and it was not a nickel planchet (as advertised) and was the size of a quarter. However, there was no copper core so I got it weighed and it came in at exactly 6 grams.

      Mike then directed me to " Foreign Coin production figures" put out by the U S Mint.

      So I go through the whole (extremely long) list to find only the 6 gram foreign coins produced by the U S Mint.

      Findings:

      The US mint made 6 gram coins for Indo China in 1941 and in 1920 (rule this one out by date)

      The US Mint made 6 grams coins for Guatemala in 1943-1944 (rule this one out by date)

      The US Mint made 6 gram dollar coins for Taiwan (ROC) in 1973 -1974 (25 mm)

      Conclusion: This can only be a 6 gram Taiwan Planchet and thus the error would slab as (per Fred) Mint Error ND IKE $1 Off Center on a Taiwan Planchet 6 grams. Very cool.

      A very interesting an unique error, see photo in wrong planchet folder.

      Again I really want to thank Mike for all his help and thank Fred for his wisdom.

      All the Best, Chris
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2009
        Dame Fortune has smiled upon you indeed. Enjoy your treasure, Chris.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "ctf_error_coins" <ctf_error_coins@...> wrote:

        > Hi, first off I want the thank Mike on his help on diagnostics and in directing me to the correct resource to figure out exactly what I had.
        >
        > I got in the off the center Ike on smaller planchet and it was not a nickel planchet (as advertised) and was the size of a quarter. However, there was no copper core so I got it weighed and it came in at exactly 6 grams.
        >
        > Mike then directed me to " Foreign Coin production figures" put out by the U S Mint.
        >
        > So I go through the whole (extremely long) list to find only the 6 gram foreign coins produced by the U S Mint.
        >
        > Findings:
        >
        > The US mint made 6 gram coins for Indo China in 1941 and in 1920 (rule this one out by date)
        >
        > The US Mint made 6 grams coins for Guatemala in 1943-1944 (rule this one out by date)
        >
        > The US Mint made 6 gram dollar coins for Taiwan (ROC) in 1973 -1974 (25 mm)
        >
        > Conclusion: This can only be a 6 gram Taiwan Planchet and thus the error would slab as (per Fred) Mint Error ND IKE $1 Off Center on a Taiwan Planchet 6 grams. Very cool.
        >
        > A very interesting an unique error, see photo in wrong planchet folder.
        >
        > Again I really want to thank Mike for all his help and thank Fred for his wisdom.
        >
        > All the Best, Chris

      • Rob Risi
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2009
          EITHER OR ITS A RARE $$$$$ ERROR...MAYBE A BIT BETTER IF IT WERE ON A US NICKEL PLANCHET, BUT EVEN THE TAWAIN PLANCHET IS SUPER....ANY IKE DOLLAR ON A SMALLER PLANCHET IS $$$$$$.......ESPECIALLY SMALLER THAN HALF DOLLAR BLANKS......I WANT TO GET ONE ON A DIME PLANCHET SOMEDAY.
          ROB

          Dame Fortune has smiled upon you indeed. Enjoy your treasure, Chris.

          --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, "ctf_error_coins" <ctf_error_coins@ ...> wrote:

          > Hi, first off I want the thank Mike on his help on diagnostics and in directing me to the correct resource to figure out exactly what I had.
          >
          > I got in the off the center Ike on smaller planchet and it was not a nickel planchet (as advertised) and was the size of a quarter. However, there was no copper core so I got it weighed and it came in at exactly 6 grams.
          >
          > Mike then directed me to " Foreign Coin production figures" put out by the U S Mint.
          >
          > So I go through the whole (extremely long) list to find only the 6 gram foreign coins produced by the U S Mint.
          >
          > Findings:
          >
          > The US mint made 6 gram coins for Indo China in 1941 and in 1920 (rule this one out by date)
          >
          > The US Mint made 6 grams coins for Guatemala in 1943-1944 (rule this one out by date)
          >
          > The US Mint made 6 gram dollar coins for Taiwan (ROC) in 1973 -1974 (25 mm)
          >
          > Conclusion: This can only be a 6 gram Taiwan Planchet and thus the error would slab as (per Fred) Mint Error ND IKE $1 Off Center on a Taiwan Planchet 6 grams. Very cool.
          >
          > A very interesting an unique error, see photo in wrong planchet folder.
          >
          > Again I really want to thank Mike for all his help and thank Fred for his wisdom.
          >
          > All the Best, Chris

        • Tigger
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2009
            I feel so blond when it comes to the technical words of coin collecting. I am not a stupid person so why can't I get the hang of this. LOL. Ok I for the life of me can not find the picture of the coin that is being referenced in these posts. Can anyone direct me in "Coin Collecting for Dummies" terms as to where I can find this photo in the albums. Thanks I am curious as to put a visual with what I am reading.
            Michelle

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 8, 2009
              Look in the photo album labeled "Off-metal/Wrong Planchet".

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Tigger" <castleberrymd@...> wrote:

              > I feel so blond when it comes to the technical words of coin collecting. I am not a stupid person so why can't I get the hang of this. LOL. Ok I for the life of me can not find the picture of the coin that is being referenced in these posts. Can anyone direct me in "Coin Collecting for Dummies" terms as to where I can find this photo in the albums. Thanks I am curious as to put a visual with what I am reading.
              > Michelle
            • Jerry Jaske
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 8, 2009
                I found the pictures in  the "alloys and composition " folder , not "off-metal/wrong planchet".  Incidentally my group messages do not have a "photos" link at the bottom of the page any more.  I get there via a "new photos" link.

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 8, 2009
                  My mistake, then. I've gone ahead and moved the images to the off-metal/wrong planchet album.

                  --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Jaske <btownkid@...> wrote:

                  > I found the pictures in  the "alloys and composition " folder , not "off-metal/wrong planchet".  Incidentally my group messages do not have a "photos" link at the bottom of the page any more.  I get there via a "new photos" link.

                • Tigger
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009
                    Thank you. I found them.