Re: Pics uploaded

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
      It appears to be a "Texas cent". For some reasons, these are almost always de-plated. A Texas cent is an enlarged cent produced by pounding the coin between two relatively giving layers, like hard leather. You get proportional expansion of both faces -- something that's impossible in a genuine error.
    • fred_weinberg
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
        Yes, Mike has it right; I didn't address the slightly
        larger size, etc.

        When someone 'plays' with coins like this, it's not unexpected
        that they do more than one thing to it.

        In this case, it was de-plated and dinner-plated.

        > It appears to be a "Texas cent". For some reasons, these are almost always de-plated. A Texas cent is an enlarged cent produced by pounding the coin between two relatively giving layers, like hard leather. You get proportional expansion of both faces -- something that's impossible in a genuine error.

      • tbarreca2001
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
          Thanks, Mike. That makes sense!

          Love this mailing list, and grateful for its existence.