Re: Error Coins and Mike

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2009
      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Castleberry <castleberrymd@...> wrote:

      > Thanks to each of you who offered a possible idea as to this quarter.  A special thanks to Mike for taking the time to look at it.   I like the people here and the information available is great.  Think I will stick around awhile.  LOL.
      >
      >       Ok so I have another question on the state quarters?  Are they just riddled with errors?  Is it possible there is just too much detail for them to die cast proper?>>

      Coins are struck, not cast. Dies are not cast, either. The design on a working die (incuse) is transferred from a working hub (raised), by squeezing them slowly together under high pressure.

      <<I have been looking at many of them and it just seems they have allot of little here and there problems.  Any suggestions as to why?>>

      Die chips are a common problem due to the congested designs found in many issues. The intricate details create lots of narrow crannies. On the die face, these are thin pedestals which can easily break off, leaving a void in the die face and a small lump on the coin. As for other errors, there isn't all that much difference between state quarters and earlier issues. That incuse form of die deterioration found on your Idaho quarter is one such differnce. One also sees other forms of die deterioration that are seldom, if ever, found on pre-state quarters. This may be due to rushed preparation of the dies, but that's mere speculation.

      <<I am going to go join CONECA (Gosh I hope I spelled that right,  it's really early for me right now) and then as usual be my pushy self and suggest a article on just the series of state quarter errors and what is rare or worthy of collecting and what is just to common.   LOL.>>

      State quarters develop the same sorts of errors as other coins. In the early years (before 2002), there were all sorts of dramatic striking errors. After that, doubled dies and other die defects (like the Wisconsin "extra leaf" quarters), got most of the attention.

      <<In the meantime,  does anyone know if this has been done,  is there a good article on the state quarters and the realistic and practical collecting of the errors that have surfaced?>>

      No one has produced a review article because, frankly, there's no basis for one. Hundreds of different errors and error combinations are known among state quarters. It's the nature of the minting process. I did send you a copy of my checklist that contains a comprehensive listing of errors and varieties. It'll give you a sense of what's potentially out there.

      CONECA is happy to have you as a new member and your presence on the ECIE message board is equally welcome.

      Mike