Unusual Multistruck and Brockaged Coin.

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
      I just wanted to point out this very unusual multistruck and brockaged coin. I came up short on the bid a few days ago.

      http://tinyurl.com/yhx3udx

      It appears to have been struck 4 or 5 times. I think that the 2nd strike is through an off center coin, with a hint of the brockage under (west of) UNI of the last, 80% brockage. That last brockage is of another struck coin that came onto the scene for the last strike, the brockage that takes up most of the coin. But there's a lot going on underneath too. Whatever the sequence of events, it's a nice piece and somewhat complicated.
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
        I only see evidence of one strike. It does appear to have been brockaged by an off-center coin. The lack of expansion is unusual and may reflect lower-than-normal striking pressure, perhaps as a result of increased minimum die clearance. The in-collar strike of the bottom (auction) coin would also have limited expansion of the brockage, but that wouldn't be the sole reason.

        I agree that there are probably a few minor wrinkles that need to be sorted out.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2009
          The reverse lookes as if it was struck once, but there are 2 separate base of busts on the obv, with other things going on inbetween.
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2009
            I only see one die-struck base-of-bust and one die-struck "L" from LIBERTY. Therefore I see no reason to alter my original opinion.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2009
              OK then. I'm glad I didn't win the coin. I gon't understand the area immediately below the brockaged word STATES. It must be bart of the brockage. Thanks Mike.
            • Michael
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2009
                There are some wrinkles and creases at the boundary between the brockaged design and the smoothly indented area just beyond it. That remains to be explained, but there's no reason to believe that these are the result of multiple strikes, either on this coin or the coin that generated the brockage.