Help me figure this one out thanks.

  • Michelle Castleberry
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 27 3:01 AM
      Hello My name is Michelle

      I am very new to coin collecting. I have been studying a particular coin that I received as change from some where for about 2 months.   I posted the pictures at  anther coin collecting site,  but didn't get any positive answers.

      I really need some help here.   This is what I have discovered so  far.

      A) It's not a grease smear.  There are definitely 2 sets of ridges.
      B) It appears for lack of anything else a double die obverse.

      My research has said this is virtually implausible,  not impossible just
      highly unlikely since they changed the hub process and switched to a
      squeeze press.

      So that is where I am stuck.  What is it if it is not a DDO?  Should it be graded?  If so how do you choose the right person to do that?   I need guidance all.   I am lost at this moment on what to do or how to proceed from here.

      If it is a DDO as all evidence points to it being so.  What might it be worth?  I know that sounds shallow but I am a mother of a 4 year old,  with a brain tumor,  I don't need that type of coin in my meager collection.  I believe God provides and this may be part of his provisions.  Yet I am beginning to doubt as I can't find the answers I seek and no one seems to be offering the guidance.  I am at a stone wall.
      If anyone could please help me,  explain what I have and if and what I should do with it.  I would be ever so grateful.   I have included pictures of the coin.  I also used my photo editor to emboss the coin so that you all could see the distinct sets of ridges.

      Again thank you for any help you can give as I am a cent collector primarily and if I ever found one of those "rare" ones,  I would be in this same situation.  LOST.  LOL.  There is not allot of information on what to do with a coin that you think may be more collectible than others.

      Thank you kindly,
      Michelle
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 27 6:09 AM
        Hi Michelle.

        Regrettably, your coin is not a doubled die. But is unusual. It appears to be a peculiar form of die deterioration doubling that is most often found on state quarters. The distance of the spread is unprecedented in my experience, however. My diagnosis is tentative only and your pictures are not ideal. I would be happy to examine it for you. Please contact me at mdia1@... if you would like to go this route.

        -- Mike Diamond

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Castleberry <castleberrymd@...> wrote:

        > Hello My name is Michelle
        >
        > I am very new to coin collecting. I have been studying a particular coin that I received as change from some where for about 2 months.   I posted the pictures at  anther coin collecting site,  but didn't get any positive answers.
        >
        > I really need some help here.   This is what I have discovered so  far.
        >
        > A) It's not a grease smear.  There are definitely 2 sets of ridges.
        > B) It appears for lack of anything else a double die obverse.
        >
        > My research has said this is virtually implausible,  not impossible just
        > highly unlikely since they changed the hub process and switched to a
        > squeeze press.
        >
        > So that is where I am stuck.  What is it if it is not a DDO?  Should it be graded?  If so how do you choose the right person to do that?   I need guidance all.   I am lost at this moment on what to do or how to proceed from here.
        >
        > If it is a DDO as all evidence points to it being so.  What might it be worth?  I know that sounds shallow but I am a mother of a 4 year old,  with a brain tumor,  I don't need that type of coin in my meager collection.  I believe God provides and this may be part of his provisions.  Yet I am beginning to doubt as I can't find the answers I seek and no one seems to be offering the guidance.  I am at a stone wall.
        > If anyone could please help me,  explain what I have and if and what I should do with it.  I would be ever so grateful.   I have included pictures of the coin.  I also used my photo editor to emboss the coin so that you all could see the distinct sets of ridges.
        >
        > Again thank you for any help you can give as I am a cent collector primarily and if I ever found one of those "rare" ones,  I would be in this same situation.  LOST.  LOL.  There is not allot of information on what to do with a coin that you think may be more collectible than others.
        >
        > Thank you kindly,
        > Michelle

      • Travis
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 27 7:39 AM
          Where are the pictures of this coin? I can't find them.

        • mdia1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 27 8:12 AM
            I've added them to the default file.

            In a message dated 9/27/2009 9:48:25 A.M. Central Daylight Time, travisbolton543@... writes:

            Where are the pictures of this coin? I can't find them.

            --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, "Michael" <mdia1@...> wrote:

            > Hi Michelle.
            >
            > Regrettably, your coin is not a doubled die. But is unusual. It appears to be a peculiar form of die deterioration doubling that is most often found on state quarters. The distance of the spread is unprecedented in my experience, however. My diagnosis is tentative only and your pictures are not ideal. I would be happy to examine it for you. Please contact me at mdia1@... if you would like to go this route.
            >
            > -- Mike Diamond
            >
            > --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, Michelle Castleberry <castleberrymd@ > wrote:
            > >

            > > Hello My name is Michelle
            > >
            > > I am very new to coin collecting. I have been studying a particular coin that I received as change from some where for about 2 months.   I posted the pictures at  anther coin collecting site,  but didn't get any positive answers.
            > >
            > > I really need some help here.   This is what I have discovered so  far.
            > >
            > > A) It's not a grease smear.  There are definitely 2 sets of ridges.
            > > B) It appears for lack of anything else a double die obverse.
            > >
            > > My research has said this is virtually implausible,  not impossible just
            > > highly unlikely since they changed the hub process and switched to a
            > > squeeze press.
            > >
            > > So that is where I am stuck.  What is it if it is not a DDO?  Should it be graded?  If so how do you choose the right person to do that?   I need guidance all.   I am lost at this moment on what to do or how to proceed from here.
            > >
            > > If it is a DDO as all evidence points to it being so.  What might it be worth?  I know that sounds shallow but I am a mother of a 4 year old,  with a brain tumor,  I don't need that type of coin in my meager collection.  I believe God provides and this may be part of his provisions.  Yet I am beginning to doubt as I can't find the answers I seek and no one seems to be offering the guidance.  I am at a stone wall.
            > > If anyone could please help me,  explain what I have and if and what I should do with it.  I would be ever so grateful.   I have included pictures of the coin.  I also used my photo editor to emboss the coin so that you all could see the distinct sets of ridges.
            > >
            > > Again thank you for any help you can give as I am a cent collector primarily and if I ever found one of those "rare" ones,  I would be in this same situation.  LOST.  LOL.  There is not allot of information on what to do with a coin that you think may be more collectible than others.
            > >
            > > Thank you kindly,
            > > Michelle

          • David Edwards
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 28 9:03 PM
              hi Mechelle,what you have is known as "ghost doubling"it's pretty common,and not worth any more then the reg.coin.i hope this helps.  Dave

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 29 5:02 AM
                There are certainly many forms of doubling, but I've never heard the term "ghost doubling". Please define it, describe it, and tell us how it arises.

              • innff@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 29 6:00 AM
                  I would also be interested to hear the specifics on "ghost doubling" since I  have never heard of that term or seen it used before.

                  In a message dated 9/29/2009 8:04:24 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mdia1@... writes:

                  There are certainly many forms of doubling, but I've never heard the term "ghost doubling". Please define it, describe it, and tell us how it arises.

                  --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, David Edwards <normanddave12@ ...> wrote:

                  > hi Mechelle,what you have is known as "ghost doubling"it' s pretty common,and not worth any more then the reg.coin.i hope this helps.  Dave

                • Michael
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 7, 2009
                    For those waiting for an update, Michelle did send me the coin. I can confirm that it has the peculiar form of incuse die deterioration doubling that sometimes develops on state quarters. It is the most exaggerated example I've come across.