Re: struck thru grease?

  • armstrong_aaron
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2009
      I never realized or thought about the grease having different textures, but that totally makes sense. Obviously, the grease can pick up metal shavings, dirt, and/or sand and have a dense thickness to it.

      Are the marks caused by the coarse grease when pressed, or did the grease serve to cover up some of the tumbling marks. My guess is both.

      I have quite a few struck thrus, but only 2 struck thru grease--and they both left behind smooth surfaces on the coin. I guess that is why I was troubled by the marks.

      I found another wrong description of struck through grease. Also has marks on obverse and reverse.

      http://tinyurl.com/msgl8g