Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: triple strike fake or real?

  • Rob Risi
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 18, 2009
      I BELIEVE IT IS REAL AND IF I HAD ANY DOUBTS, I WOULD LIST IT AS SUCH.
      I HAD THE COIN CHECKED OUT BY ANOTHER WELL KNOWN CONECA MEMBER THAT IS LOCAL TO ME AND HE SAYS ITS OK.
      ROB

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 19, 2009
        As Travis said, the second and third strikes were received in tandem (i.e., a saddle strike). I harbor no doubts about its authenticity. These sorts of errors appeared in abundance in 1964.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "ben_rose42" <ben_rose42@...> wrote:

        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160342257506
        > I don,t like the way on the reverse that one off center strike appears to distort the first strike. I would appreciate clarification of any other identifying characteristics.
        > Thanks
        > Ben

      • fred_weinberg
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 19, 2009
          It's Genuine, as mentioned by previous posts.

          The counterfeits have a very different look to them.

          > As Travis said, the second and third strikes were received in tandem (i.e., a saddle strike). I harbor no doubts about its authenticity. These sorts of errors appeared in abundance in 1964.
          >
          > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "ben_rose42" <ben_rose42@> wrote:
          > >
          > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160342257506
          > > I don,t like the way on the reverse that one off center strike appears to distort the first strike. I would appreciate clarification of any other identifying characteristics.
          > > Thanks
          > > Ben

        • Rob Risi
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 19, 2009
            So, Whats a nice triple saddle struck 64 cent worth??
            i say from $350-450+....to be honest.
            i hope i get at least $375, but we shall see.
            i do have another similar coin also a 1964 that looks a bit better as to the strikes, but a more R/B IN COLOR COIN...The ebay coin is nearly red....about 85%
            NICE
            Rob

            --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, "Mike Diamond" <mdia1@...> wrote:

            > As Travis said, the second and third strikes were received in tandem (i.e., a saddle strike). I harbor no doubts about its authenticity. These sorts of errors appeared in abundance in 1964.
            >
            > --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, "ben_rose42" <ben_rose42@ > wrote:
            > >
            > > http://cgi.ebay. com/ws/eBayISAPI .dll?ViewItem& ssPageName= STRK:MEWAX: IT&item=16034225 7506
            > > I don,t like the way on the reverse that one off center strike appears to distort the first strike. I would appreciate clarification of any other identifying characteristics.
            > > Thanks
            > > Ben

          • ben_rose42
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 19, 2009
              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "ben_rose42" <ben_rose42@...> wrote:

              > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160342257506
              > I don,t like the way on the reverse that one off center strike appears to distort the first strike. I would appreciate clarification of any other identifying characteristics.
              > Thanks
              > Ben

              Actually, it was the distortion that alerted me. Also, I've heard that 1964 is a common date for fakes.
              Thanks
              Ben
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 19, 2009
                The distortion is normal. The area between the two tandem, off-center strikes is subjected to lateral compression, which causes this zone to buckle upward.