Bi-metallic Shattered Die

  • jylitalo
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2009
      (Uploaded 1 x image to default folder)

      I will post quality photo's when it arrives. The image is the obverse face of a two pound bi-metallic from the U.K.

      This is the first bi-metallic coin I've ever encountered with an obvious shattered die. I just haven't seen any other bi-metal error coins from any other country with this type of error/s.

      Somehow, excessive striking pressure has also left raised/finned rims on either face near edges, (likely due to die failure committing other violations).

      I had also thought that perhaps a wrong, thicker than normal planchet would explain the finned rim, but this doesn't exactly match up with the die having to have started to fail. Likely, with die failure in progress, all sorts of weird things can occur.

      Anyhow, thought I'd put her up now (Mother) for an early glimpse, and we can take a closer look at it when it gets here.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2009
        Outstanding acquisition, Jeff. It's the first split die or shattered die I've seen on a bimetallic coin.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 16, 2009
          This one arrived.

          Fantastic is all I an say.

          The thickness and height of the bi-level cracks from rim to rim are far better than I could have hoped for!

          Everything checks as for authenticity, 12.01 grams in weight, and the required inscription along the edge is legible, "Remember, Remember, the 5th of November". For those who do not know, many of these two pound bi-metallic coins from the U.K. are struck with a different reverse design each year. (This one in 2005).

          (3 x Pic's uploaded to default folder)

          Thanks.