Re: 2009 D Harrison Third Eye

  • coinz24
    Message 1 of 19 , May 2, 2009
      Mike you said there were two dimes like this. Where they graded and where can I find pictures of. I have not sent in as of yet. I am worried that this would be something that PCGS might not understand or grade. I want to know as much as I can before moving forward. Also not very sure if I will have graded. I had an interesting offer on coin which makes me wonder what price on raw or graded should be for this coin.

      Thanks for all the great work you all provide on this web site.

      Thanks again
      coinz24

      Message 2 of 19 , May 3, 2009
        Look in "Miscellaneous Errors". Specifically the dime labeled "surface film tranfer". I'd have to locate photos of the other dime. They're stored on one of my CD's.

        Neither coin was submitted to a grading service. Your specimen is a dubious example, so even if a grader was aware of this error types, it's doubtful it would be labeled as such.

        I have no idea what such errors are worth.

        Message 3 of 19 , May 7, 2009
          Mike thank you I found pictures. Also Mike I spoke with PCGS today the third eye Harrison will be graded under "Mechanical Error"
          once I have coin I will take pictures of it.

          Message 4 of 19 , May 7, 2009
            The term "mechanical error" means nothing to me. It's certainly not an error category.

            Message 5 of 19 , May 7, 2009
              The grading services usually emply the term "mechanical error" to refer to clerical errors such as typos or obvious goofs printed on the slab label.

              > The term "mechanical error" means nothing to me. It's certainly not an error category.
              >
              > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "coinz24" <coinz24@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Mike thank you I found pictures. Also Mike I spoke with PCGS today the third eye Harrison will be graded under "Mechanical Error"
              > > once I have coin I will take pictures of it.

            • fred_weinberg
              Message 6 of 19 , May 8, 2009
                I've never used the term "mechanical error" on a
                description for PCGS, so I don't know what that means
                either. To me, the term means the overall catagory of
                Double Strikes, Off Metals, Off Centers, etc., not a
                specific name for a specific error type.

                If the coin comes to me, as I told the owner a few weeks
                ago, I would not certify it as an error, as it is a minor
                anomaly, and not a major striking error, imo.

                Not every coin that has an error on it is deemed 'slabbable'
                by the services.

                Message 7 of 19 , May 8, 2009
                  Fred I never said that you said "mechanical error". Pcgs said this so I asked what they ment. They graded coin and on lable they did not lable correctly. Once coin s comes back I will let you know.

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 8, 2009
                    I understand - I didn't say that you said I said it....

                    --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "coinz24" <coinz24@...> wrote:

                    > Fred I never said that you said "mechanical error". Pcgs said this so I asked what they ment. They graded coin and on lable they did not lable correctly. Once coin s comes back I will let you know.
                    >
                    > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg <no_reply@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond" <mdia1@> wrote:
                    > > I've never used the term "mechanical error" on a
                    > > description for PCGS, so I don't know what that means
                    > > either. To me, the term means the overall catagory of
                    > > Double Strikes, Off Metals, Off Centers, etc., not a
                    > > specific name for a specific error type.
                    > >
                    > > If the coin comes to me, as I told the owner a few weeks
                    > > ago, I would not certify it as an error, as it is a minor
                    > > anomaly, and not a major striking error, imo.
                    > >
                    > > Not every coin that has an error on it is deemed 'slabbable'
                    > > by the services.
                    > >

                    > > > The grading services usually emply the term "mechanical error" to refer to clerical errors such as typos or obvious goofs printed on the slab label.

                  • portpere
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 8, 2009
                      At times, there is a disconnect between grading companies and the customer/attributor. I have had a few cases where James Wiles attributed certain coins of mine just as I thought they should. Upon submission of these coins with Mr. Wiles attribution attached, I still got back mislabeled or wrongly graded/slabbed coins. Now, I only submit well-known error types for attribution/slab. The more complicated errors stay in an annotated flip in my personal archives. I assume that most error collectors have many more raw errors than slabbed error coins in their personal hoard.

                      John

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 4, 2009
                        Mike is it ok to use the info in my auction on this coin. I will not use name or anything that would implies you.

                        Thanks

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 4, 2009
                          You are certainly allowed to use any information derived from this website in your auction listing.