2009 D Harrison Third Eye

  • coinz24
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 19, 2009
      Hello I really need your help all What I am trying to figure out is how this error occurred. I received coin from Denver bank roll. I want to send in the PCGS but as much as an error cost to grade, I just want to answer how this could of happened while minting coin. I listed one of the close up picture and I am going to list another picture that shows more of the coin. You can see error with your eye but needs magnifying glass to make out.
    • savemepennies
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 20, 2009
        Can't help with the error but since you seem to know about the cost to have an error graded... Would it be out of place to ask you to share that bit of info?

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 22, 2009
          I assume the extra details are in the form of a "shadow" image, with no relief. It may simply be a simulacrum -- a chance resemblance. However, assuming it is a real error, the only possibility I can think of is a case of "surface film transfer". This occurs if the die or a previous planchet has a little bit of oil or grime on it. If the preceding planchet is double-struck, with the second strike off-center, grimy details from the first strike are transferred to the die and these, in turn, are transferred to the next planchet (your coin). Such errors are exceedingly rare. I've only seen two (both dimes).

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 22, 2009
            All the grading services have websites in which costs are listed.

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 22, 2009
              Yes.

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 22, 2009
                I am not sure what you mean but the cost through PCGS is 50 dollars and 5 for service fee plus shipping of 17.20

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 22, 2009
                  Thanks mike I am on the fence on this one also. I plan to send in for grading at PCGS so I will let you all know the outcome.

                  > I assume the extra details are in the form of a "shadow" image, with no relief. It may simply be a simulacrum -- a chance resemblance. However, assuming it is a real error, the only possibility I can think of is a case of "surface film transfer". This occurs if the die or a previous planchet has a little bit of oil or grime on it. If the preceding planchet is double-struck, with the second strike off-center, grimy details from the first strike are transferred to the die and these, in turn, are transferred to the next planchet (your coin). Such errors are exceedingly rare. I've only seen two (both dimes).
                  >
                  > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "coinz24" <coinz24@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello I really need your help all What I am trying to figure out is how this error occurred. I received coin from Denver bank roll. I want to send in the PCGS but as much as an error cost to grade, I just want to answer how this could of happened while minting coin. I listed one of the close up picture and I am going to list another picture that shows more of the coin. You can see error with your eye but needs magnifying glass to make out.

                • fred_weinberg
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 23, 2009
                    Make sure you label the actual submission flip
                    with what to look for/at.....it'll save time &
                    allow focusing in on the area in question.

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 2, 2009
                      Mike you said there were two dimes like this. Where they graded and where can I find pictures of. I have not sent in as of yet. I am worried that this would be something that PCGS might not understand or grade. I want to know as much as I can before moving forward. Also not very sure if I will have graded. I had an interesting offer on coin which makes me wonder what price on raw or graded should be for this coin.

                      Thanks for all the great work you all provide on this web site.

                      Thanks again
                      coinz24

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 3, 2009
                        Look in "Miscellaneous Errors". Specifically the dime labeled "surface film tranfer". I'd have to locate photos of the other dime. They're stored on one of my CD's.

                        Neither coin was submitted to a grading service. Your specimen is a dubious example, so even if a grader was aware of this error types, it's doubtful it would be labeled as such.

                        I have no idea what such errors are worth.

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 7, 2009
                          Mike thank you I found pictures. Also Mike I spoke with PCGS today the third eye Harrison will be graded under "Mechanical Error"
                          once I have coin I will take pictures of it.

                          Message 12 of 19 , May 7, 2009
                            The term "mechanical error" means nothing to me. It's certainly not an error category.

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 7, 2009
                              The grading services usually emply the term "mechanical error" to refer to clerical errors such as typos or obvious goofs printed on the slab label.

                              Message 14 of 19 , May 8, 2009
                                I've never used the term "mechanical error" on a
                                description for PCGS, so I don't know what that means
                                either. To me, the term means the overall catagory of
                                Double Strikes, Off Metals, Off Centers, etc., not a
                                specific name for a specific error type.

                                If the coin comes to me, as I told the owner a few weeks
                                ago, I would not certify it as an error, as it is a minor
                                anomaly, and not a major striking error, imo.

                                Not every coin that has an error on it is deemed 'slabbable'
                                by the services.

                                Message 15 of 19 , May 8, 2009
                                  Fred I never said that you said "mechanical error". Pcgs said this so I asked what they ment. They graded coin and on lable they did not lable correctly. Once coin s comes back I will let you know.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 8, 2009
                                    I understand - I didn't say that you said I said it....

                                    --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "coinz24" <coinz24@...> wrote:

                                    > Fred I never said that you said "mechanical error". Pcgs said this so I asked what they ment. They graded coin and on lable they did not lable correctly. Once coin s comes back I will let you know.
                                    >
                                    > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg <no_reply@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond" <mdia1@> wrote:
                                    > > I've never used the term "mechanical error" on a
                                    > > description for PCGS, so I don't know what that means
                                    > > either. To me, the term means the overall catagory of
                                    > > Double Strikes, Off Metals, Off Centers, etc., not a
                                    > > specific name for a specific error type.
                                    > >
                                    > > If the coin comes to me, as I told the owner a few weeks
                                    > > ago, I would not certify it as an error, as it is a minor
                                    > > anomaly, and not a major striking error, imo.
                                    > >
                                    > > Not every coin that has an error on it is deemed 'slabbable'
                                    > > by the services.
                                    > >

                                    > > > The grading services usually emply the term "mechanical error" to refer to clerical errors such as typos or obvious goofs printed on the slab label.

                                  • portpere
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 8, 2009
                                      At times, there is a disconnect between grading companies and the customer/attributor. I have had a few cases where James Wiles attributed certain coins of mine just as I thought they should. Upon submission of these coins with Mr. Wiles attribution attached, I still got back mislabeled or wrongly graded/slabbed coins. Now, I only submit well-known error types for attribution/slab. The more complicated errors stay in an annotated flip in my personal archives. I assume that most error collectors have many more raw errors than slabbed error coins in their personal hoard.

                                      John

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 4, 2009
                                        Mike is it ok to use the info in my auction on this coin. I will not use name or anything that would implies you.

                                        Thanks
                                        coinz24

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 4, 2009
                                          You are certainly allowed to use any information derived from this website in your auction listing.