1999 d Delaware statehood quarter

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2008
      Hi I am new to this site and I have a question about a 1999 d delaware
      statehood quarter. I found this coin while at work and what caught my
      eye first is that the luster on it was very brilliant second I noticed
      that the reed was all silver looking, I myself love silver coins but I
      dont think this coin is, altough there are silver statehood sets this
      coin make the noise that a clad coin makes when you drop it. also I
      thought the only statehood quarters that were minted had the mint mark
      s. I dont think this coin has been altered so I hope someone can help
      me figure this coin out. Thank you for any info provided.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
        Your coin was almost certainly plated outside the Mint. I've
        encountered a number of quarters with no copper core visible on the
        edge, and they were all plated. To my knowledge, not a single example
        of a normal-weight, normal-diameter, solid silver or solid copper-
        nickel statehood quarter has ever been authenticated.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Eric"
        <guito6794@...> wrote:

        > Hi I am new to this site and I have a question about a 1999 d
        delaware
        > statehood quarter. I found this coin while at work and what caught my
        > eye first is that the luster on it was very brilliant second I
        noticed
        > that the reed was all silver looking, I myself love silver coins but
        > dont think this coin is, altough there are silver statehood sets this
        > coin make the noise that a clad coin makes when you drop it. also I
        > thought the only statehood quarters that were minted had the mint
        mark
        > s. I dont think this coin has been altered so I hope someone can help
        > me figure this coin out. Thank you for any info provided.

      • Marc
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
          I think that it's also possible that the quarter you found might have
          been released from a silver proof set into circulation. I have found a
          handful of proof coins that 'escaped' from their proof sets into
          circulation in my time. This would account for the bright luster too.
          Just a possibility.

          Weighing the coin would be a good diagnostic. The silver proof should
          weigh in at 6.25g, and the clad at 5.67g. There is also an
          unmistakable 'ring' (sound) to a silver coin when spun, as opposed to
          the dull sound a clad quarter would make.
        • Norm Higgs
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
            To know for certain you need to have the coin weighed. If its overweight
            then its been plated. If its underweight, then its missing the copper
            layer, making it a rare error.

            As Mike pointed out - virtually all coins such as this are plated and
            the fact that you describe it as 'very brilliant' tends to support that
            analysis.

            --
            Norm Higgs
            http://forbiddenpc.com