Re: Weight of zinc core or cu layer?

  • altasierradecks
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc"
      <numismistake@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know the weight of the Zn core with 1 Cu layer attached
      > that would be left if I weighed a split after struck clad cent?
      >
      > Also, would/could any Zn remain attached to the striated layer that
      > split?
      >
      > Would a striated layer indicate a pre-'82 coin?

      The 1982 Zinc penny weighs in at approx. 2.5 grams. So, the core is
      zinc of .992% and the .008% of Copper plating. The core should weigh
      in at approx. 2.488 grams. On the straited layer, I guess that would
      depend on how good the strike was. Hope this helps.

      Pat
    • altasierradecks
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
        <numismistake@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know the weight of the Zn core with 1 Cu layer
        attached
        > that would be left if I weighed a split after struck clad cent?
        >
        > Also, would/could any Zn remain attached to the striated layer
        that
        > split?
        >
        > Would a striated layer indicate a pre-'82 coin?

        Not sure if the last one got through.

        The 1982 Zinc Core penny/cent has a core of zinc that is .992 and a
        layer of copper that is .008. That would make the core (zinc) weigh
        in at approximately 2.488 grams. The question of could/would any
        zinc remain attached to the straited layer would probably depend on
        the strike.

        The pre 1982, which actually, both were made in 1982 but the one
        before has a composition of .950 Copper and .050 of Zinc that
        weighed approximately 3.11 grams. Hope this helps you.

        Pat
      • fred_weinberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
          Marc,

          I clad dime with a missing outer layer should
          weigh about 1.86 to 1.9 grams;

          Multiply by 15.43 to convert to grains.......

          Most 'clad layer missing' coins I've seen do not
          have any cladding material on the copper core
          surfaces, but I have seen some exceptions.

          Since the composition of the dime hasn't changed
          since 1965, your last question wouldn't be a
          determining factor as to age.....

          Hope this helps a little bit......

          Fred

          <numismistake@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know the weight of the Zn core with 1 Cu layer attached
          > that would be left if I weighed a split after struck clad cent?
          >
          > Also, would/could any Zn remain attached to the striated layer that
          > split?
          >
          > Would a striated layer indicate a pre-'82 coin?

        • Marc
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
            Thanks Fred. My question regards split after struck cents. I acquired a
            group of 15 'split planchet cents', several of which are dated 197X
            (split before struck) and several that look somewhat alike. They are
            split after struck reverses only, with striated obverse appearance as
            expected, and full edges. Wts. are 1.2g - 1.6g each. They almost look
            like a hollowed out magician's coin with the striated obverse within
            a 'can' shape, so to say. Like something that was inside (a Zn core?)
            left the collar struck edge attached to the reverse strike when it
            split.

            I'll get some photos...