Re:1984 Lincoln Cent

  • Deborah Hock
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
      I may be wrong, and if so, please correct me - but I have always used mineral oil to clean dirty coins. May have to soak them a few days, then wipe gently with a soft cotton rag (no paper towels, they can leave scratches).

      In GOD, I will always Trust.

      In Loving memory of my baby boy - BooKitty Feb. 1989 - Feb. 2008

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2008
        I haven't used mineral oil, but if you've met with success keep doing
        what you're doing. Even a soft cotton rag will leave scratches on an
        uncirculated coin, but I presume dirty and well-circulated go hand-in-
        hand.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Hock
        <dbrhhock@...> wrote:

        > I may be wrong, and if so, please correct me - but I have always used
        mineral oil to clean dirty coins. May have to soak them a few days,
        then wipe gently with a soft cotton rag (no paper towels, they can
        leave scratches).
      • portpere
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2008
          Best that I have come up with is distilled water soaking in a dessert
          cup. I change the water every few hours and get decent results without
          damaging the coin. I think that you can also use a wet toothpick to rub
          a bad spot as long as you do not use a lot of pressure. I guess the
          only thing that will confirm that you have not damaged the coin or it's
          luster is to send it in for grading. If it comes back in a "body bag",
          you went too far. I purchased some Blue Ribbon Professional Coin
          Conditioner and Preservative a while back. I used it on a few coins and
          sent one to PCGS for grading. It came back in a "body bag" noting
          unnatural toning??? So, I no longer use anything but water. I suppose
          NCS would do a professional cleaning job on any coin, but it would have
          to be a real winner to justify the expense.
          I am very wary of purchasing coins when they do not have at least one
          little spot on them somewhere, unless they are already slabbed or
          directly received from the Mint.
          In the end, don't clean unless you absolutely must.
          John