EBAY SAYS NO TO M.O.'s ?

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 13, 2008
      I've just heard (I've been on Mars) that eBay will not allow payment
      from buyer to seller using a check, or even Postal money order next
      month. All payments must be electronic.

      http://pages.ebay.com/sell/August2008Update/Payments/

      Did I read this right? How can I sneak around buying goodies without
      leaving a paper trail now for my wife to see (she sees a lot but not
      everything..as I don't when she goes shopping..and the marriage goes on
      28-1/2 years now that way).

      What gives them the right to strengthen their Paypal business even
      further by restricting my buying?

      Isn't this an unfair restraint of trade? Is it unlawful?
    • Rob
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 13, 2008
        Yes, that's right. So other sites like us.ebid.net are becoming more
        important. For my coin sales I am split between ebid and ebay, but I
        make alot more profit from ebid and can take all kinds of payment
        methods not just PayPal.
        I don't know about it's legality, but it is a really customer
        unfriendly decision. At least they could have opened up the payment
        methods to allow Google Checkout, BidPay, Money Bookers, Amazon
        Payments....

        Rob

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc"

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 13, 2008
          That's capitalism, Marc. Near-monopolies can do what they want. The
          strategy is to lure in your customers with cheap prices (or
          benefits), outlast the competition, buy out those you can't outlast,
          and then take maximum advantage of your now-captive clientele.

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 13, 2008
            I went to the U-Bid site and signed up new with my moniker. Upon a
            short look-see, they (U-Bid) are akin to a pimple on a pig when
            compared to the offerings on eBay. In fact, I saw no error coins nor a
            category to put them into on U-Bid.

            There must be rules that govern a monopoly. Should you have a monopoly
            as eBay clearly does, then rules that govern equal access for all must
            apply.

            If I had a bad credit rating, and/or no e-credit at all, and/or no bank
            k account, etc., I should still be able to walk into a post office and
            buy a money order from money I saved in the cookie jar. Those people do
            exist in great numbers amongst us all. Some of them stand in line in
            front of me at the P.O. buying 3-10 (small) money orders at at time
            just to make ends meet. Are they now excluded from buying on eBay?

            The excuses that eBay gives about 80% of items not received being paid
            by check or money order is posibly true (?), but their remedy can be
            making delivery confirmation ($.75) on money order purchases mandatory.
            and/or, mandatory insurance on items over $25 paid by M.O., or so.

            Simple problem, simple fix.

            This is clearly, CLEARLY strongarm tactics used to get more information
            from us (electronic payment tells all) and take total control.

            Who's to stop them now, as Mike said?

            I'm sure that there is a legal issue involved.
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 13, 2008
              I leave it to you to investigate the legal ramifications of, and
              remedies for, this move by eBay. I'm sure it won't be the last anti-
              competitive act they commit.

              <numismistake@...> wrote:

              > I went to the U-Bid site and signed up new with my moniker. Upon a
              > short look-see, they (U-Bid) are akin to a pimple on a pig when
              > compared to the offerings on eBay. In fact, I saw no error coins
              nor a
              > category to put them into on U-Bid.
              >
              > There must be rules that govern a monopoly. Should you have a
              monopoly
              > as eBay clearly does, then rules that govern equal access for all
              must
              > apply.
              >
              > If I had a bad credit rating, and/or no e-credit at all, and/or no
              bank
              > k account, etc., I should still be able to walk into a post office
              and
              > buy a money order from money I saved in the cookie jar. Those
              people do
              > exist in great numbers amongst us all. Some of them stand in line
              in
              > front of me at the P.O. buying 3-10 (small) money orders at at time
              > just to make ends meet. Are they now excluded from buying on eBay?
              >
              > The excuses that eBay gives about 80% of items not received being
              paid
              > by check or money order is posibly true (?), but their remedy can
              be
              > making delivery confirmation ($.75) on money order purchases
              mandatory.
              > and/or, mandatory insurance on items over $25 paid by M.O., or so.
              >
              > Simple problem, simple fix.
              >
              > This is clearly, CLEARLY strongarm tactics used to get more
              information
              > from us (electronic payment tells all) and take total control.
              >
              > Who's to stop them now, as Mike said?
              >
              > I'm sure that there is a legal issue involved.

            • jeff ylitalo
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 13, 2008
                You got to hand it to them (eBay). They bought Pay-Pal a number of years ago. This option they are choosing to exercise has been in the works since that buy-out. They make money on money. If only I was of that mind-set, the things I could have done the last thirty years.

                Instead, they and those of their ilk sleep under the blanket of freedom that I and many others provide 24/7.

                It is amazing and I am mildly stunned daily at those things I continue to learn and try to make sense of.

                Jeff

                --- In w>errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, "Marc"

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 13, 2008
                  The unfettered, largely unregulated form of capitalism that this
                  country has embraced over the last 30 years has yielded a mixed
                  picture of economic gains and losses. But pretty soon you'll get me
                  started on politics and economic theory, and I don't want to go
                  there. That's the surest way to alienate friends and colleagues.

                  --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, jeff ylitalo
                  <jylitalo@...> wrote:

                  > You got to hand it to them (eBay). They bought Pay-Pal a number of
                  years ago. This option they are choosing to exercise has been in the
                  works since that buy-out. They make money on money. If only I was of
                  that mind-set, the things I could have done the last thirty years.

                  > Instead, they and those of their ilk sleep under the blanket of
                  freedom that I and many others provide 24/7.

                  > It is amazing and I am mildly stunned daily at those things I
                  continue to learn and try to make sense of.

                  > Jeff

                  M.O.'s ?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 13, 2008
                    Eye Skipper, Eye.

                    I've always tried to do right and understand what is right. That be my policy concerning my standard of living and the behaviors I embrace, the larger intuitions of knowledge I consider instrumental are those of trust, and knowledge from those who have it in greater amounts, and include those who are also doing right in their actions.

                    Experience of others does not mean a thing until I've been able to measure their intent. It is why ECIE is the haunt of my choice. If anyone wants an answer concerning an error, you will get the most 'prosaic' explanation here.

                    If the intent has ever been less than honorable, I've taken the walk, which is the walk going the other direction. I don't know everything and I freely admit it and I am proud of it. I have not taken that walk from ECIE, and others should recognize the value of this forum for such.

                    Will I walk away from eBay. No, I won't. I'll accept the change and live with it. That's easy. Try living outside for eight months with little cover from the elements. Figuring out real quick what is and what is not important, who is and who is not important, what rules and Reg's are and are not important, and finally, what you can and cannot live without will rest with you for all of your remaining days.

                    I am not at all sure I want to know what has really happened over the last thirty years to make peoples lives so miserable in the greatest, strongest and most free society in the world when entailing issues of 'politics and economic theory' and what the upper crust of policy and money makers think are is 'just'. I think they would not want to know me.

                    My focus over the last thirty years has been very narrow, I admit, but I remain believing that you and everyone outside of the wall of greed realizes the opportunity to teach will give all of us the chance to teach an honorable man at a later date, (Me included),  and it is something I've fought for.....so let's have the rest of it as time and errors permits us!

                    Jeff

                    --- In w>errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, jeff ylitalo
                    <jylitalo@.. .> wrote:

                    > You got to hand it to them (eBay). They bought Pay-Pal a number of
                    years ago. This option they are choosing to exercise has been in the
                    works since that buy-out. They make money on money. If only I was of
                    that mind-set, the things I could have done the last thirty years.

                    > Instead, they and those of their ilk sleep under the blanket of
                    freedom that I and many others provide 24/7.

                    > It is amazing and I am mildly stunned daily at those things I
                    continue to learn and try to make sense of.

                    > Jeff

                  • steve
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 13, 2008
                      Well I Just close my e-bay acc. tired of the high prices and there
                      crap. Steve

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 14, 2008
                        Was wondering what if we bid on some coins and say no to there check
                        out next month. Can we go to the BBB than to the DA for not letting
                        you pay with a MO. Steve

                        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "steve"

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 14, 2008
                          Shutting down accounts is probably the most effective way, however
                          quite drastic. I don't know how effective that is since you have to
                          agree to their terms and conditions before you bid. And the
                          conditions are already in place for the changes coming this week.

                          If eBay were to allow us to accept other payments or even direct
                          checking account debits I think things would feel better. But
                          probably not much chance of that with the mone-making-behemoth.

                          Rob
                          http://us.nine.ebid.net/perl/normal.cgi?ref=TruantCoins&mo=register-
                          main

                          <b.s.mead@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > days.
                          > > >
                          > > > I am not at all sure I want to know what has really happened
                          > over
                          > > the last thirty years to make peoples lives so miserable in the
                          > > greatest, strongest and most free society in the world when
                          > > entailing issues of 'politics and economic theory' and what the
                          > > upper crust of policy and money makers think are is 'just'.
                          > I think
                          > > they would not want to know me.
                          > > >
                          > > > My focus over the last thirty years has been very narrow, I
                          > admit,
                          > > but I remain believing that you and everyone outside of the wall
                          > of
                          > > greed realizes the opportunity to teach will give all of us the
                          > > chance to teach an honorable man at a later date, (Me included),
                          > > and it is something I've fought for.....so let's have the rest of

                        • Travis Bolton
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 14, 2008
                            Hi Marc, I want to add that a seller can no longer SOLICIT checks or
                            money orders but sellers can still (somewhat) accept them. eBay will
                            be looking for "abuse" of the system, they have not defined abuse
                            though. The all electronic payment system is very lame I agree.
                            Now, hopefully I have not repeated the same info someone may have also
                            posted because I haven't read all the replies yet!
                            ---Travis

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 14, 2008
                              Travis, I hope you're right. Since I have a cash flow, I like to use
                              it. Using a money order sometimes instead of Paypal or a credit card
                              sure works for me. It's better than stuffing a safe deposit box or a
                              mattress...

                              >Hi Marc, I want to add that a seller can no longer SOLICIT checks or
                              >money orders but sellers can still (somewhat) accept them. eBay will
                              >be looking for "abuse" of the system, they have not defined abuse
                              >though. The all electronic payment system is very lame I agree.
                              >Now, hopefully I have not repeated the same info someone may have also
                              >posted because I haven't read all the replies yet!
                              >---Travis
                            • portpere
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 15, 2008
                                I won't bother you guys with the long story, but I had an issue with
                                a single buyer with multiple accounts "purchasing" a number of my
                                items on eBay and never paying. His modus operandi was to say he paid
                                and never rcvd the item and to initiate disputes on all of the items,
                                forcing eBay to suspend my account. eBay did nothing to investigate
                                and I had to research and finally prove to eBay that it was a scam.
                                The guy even used the phone number of his local Home Depot as his
                                home phone number on his accounts. These buyer accounts were all
                                closed and I got reinstated, but now (as eBay recommends)I can only
                                accept Paypal to be sure this does not happen again. Monopoly at it's
                                finest. Oil company monopolies are minor league compared to eBay's
                                evil empire. I also, would like to move to another site, but eBay's
                                customer base blows away the competition. I shall open an account
                                with another of these online auction houses and see how it goes. Good
                                luck to all.
                                John