Re: I have no idea what I just bought,

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 9, 2008
      I considered your first suggestion, Marc. I do have several capped
      die strikes that show close, offset, raised doubling (mysterious in
      its own right). However, the area that's affected in this Delaware
      quarter was not struck through anything. Where the surface does show
      a light grease strike, the extra letters fade out. In capped die
      strikes with raised extra elements next to the normal ones, there's
      never complete separation as there is with this quarter.

      The dropped letter argument also doesn't wash, as this would be
      incuse. If a dropped letter impressed a thin die cap, then this
      could produce a raised element, but again, you'd have struck-through
      appearance in the surrounding area.

      The fact that the extra letters show the same incuse DDD pointing in
      the same direction as the rest of the design indicates that the extra
      letters were present in the die face.

      I do appreciate you playing devil's advocate, though. It's always
      helpful.

      I've studied the specimen some more and have located at least one
      shallow die dent elsewhere on the reverse face. This adds additional
      support to the counterclash theory. Counterclashes are often
      accompanied by other die damage.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc"
      <numismistake@...> wrote:

      > Mike, everything about those pix in the default album shouts out
      > capped die something to me.
      >
      > The incuse and raised images of Ceasar Rodney could be a very late
      > stage foil thin and rotated capped die strike. It sure looks like
      > those on cents that I have, with LIBERTY sometimes doubled or
      tripled
      > above and below the main strike of LIBERTY. This happens frequently
      > at the date too. I would also suspect that most of the foil thin
      cap
      > is gone off the surface of the die, and only small parts remain on
      > the die face. Part of this is by the lettering. Other parts could
      be
      > responsible for the small 'grease fill' you described. Perhaps the
      > letters themselves 'hold' the foil in place due to their tight
      design.

      > As a second thought (a longshot), if grease could cause a struck
      thru
      > capped die-like transfer (or like a like a dropped letter error) on
      > the subsequent coin being struck, then it COULD be possible for a
      > displaced grease strike thru-like error to occur (much like a late
      > stage displaced capped die error as I described). I do not know of
      > such an error, other than dropped letter types.
      >
      > My ideas can be wild, but so is this error.
      >
      > My 2 cents worth....

    • jeff ylitalo
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 9, 2008
        If possible, could you clearly explain exactly how counter clashing occurs?

        While I understand the concept, an updated, concise definition would also be nice.

        Thanks.

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 9, 2008
          There are two kinds of counterclash. One involves clashed dies that
          shift position and then clash again. If the clash marks are strong
          enough, a positive impression of the incuse clash mark is left on the
          opposite die. This leads to close, raised doubling on each coin.

          The Delaware quarter represents the other (and more desirable) kind of
          counterclash. Here the culprit is a stray piece of hard metal. It
          could be a die fragment, collar fragment, loose washer, loose screw --
          just about anything. The metal fragment gets struck, shifts position,
          and is struck again. The second strike transfers the design back to
          the field portion of the die as an incuse, mirror image. Every coin
          struck after that has raised, normally-oriented design elements in an
          unexpected location. Prior to the Delaware find, there were only four
          counterclashes like this known among U.S. coins -- a 1969-S cent, two
          1983 cents, and a 2000-P Sacagawea dollar. I was the diagnostician for
          the 1969-S cent and dollar coin. The counterclash on the 1983 cent CLO-
          001 was from a die fragment that broke off the reverse die and was
          struck twice afterward. We don't know what kind of foreign object left
          the other counterclashes.

          There are also two counterclashes from Canada, the Feburary 1999 "extra
          hand" and September 1999 "Four Faces" error.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, jeff ylitalo
          <jylitalo@...> wrote:

          > If possible, could you clearly explain exactly how counter clashing
          occurs?

          > While I understand the concept, an updated, concise definition would
          also be nice.

          > Thanks.

        • jeff ylitalo
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 9, 2008
            I had the pleasure of reading the archives here on ECIE going back to 2003 concerning some of the coins you mention.

            Thanks for this current and updated digest for 'counterclash'.

            From: Mike Diamond <mdia1@...>
            Subject: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: I have no idea what I just bought
            To: errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 5:40 PM

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 10, 2008
              Because fake counterclashes require pressure, this sometimes forces a
              coin out-of-round. So I checked the diameter at several different
              spots. It measures a consistent 24.22mm. Further evidence of
              authenticity.

              I suppose skeptics won't be fully satisfied until a second specimen
              is found. I'd like to see that too.

              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 10, 2008
                With respect to an official announcement in print media, I've decided
                to allow Coin World to break the story. There will be a more
                detailed follow-up in Errorscope later.