ANA report

  • Rich Schemmer
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2008
      I spent just 3 days in Baltimore at the ANA Convention, walking the
      floor buying & selling.
      It was a very busy show and after speaking to numerious dealers it
      was a fantastic show for sales..
      I sold a full double row box of certified errors to a host of
      collectors & dealers. Fred Weinberg, Mike mano, Glen Burger all
      stated they were having an extremely busy show & this was from
      Tuesday- Thursday, the 2 busiest days were yet to come.
      While I agree the market is going through an adjustment period, most
      likely from the economic pressures of readily available income to
      spend. Most Middle Income people would rather buy fuel & pay their
      bills. BUT, Then there are the wealthy and they are still strong
      buyers of better errors and that was what seemed to sell at the ANA,
      $1,000. & Up & up errors.
      Ebay??? yes prices are cheaper!! WHEN??? a good error can be found
      anymore!! I just scanned the 26 pages of errors on Ebay (in better
      times there were 50 pages)
      and found just 2 (expensive) off metals and little else that I had
      an interest in.. Some common dated off center cents were selling for
      $12.???. Have sellers pulled back their better errors as the market
      adjusts/tighter economic times. Are there LESS errors available?
      The better errors could still be found & selling very well at the
      dealers tables at the ANA!!!

      Rich Schemmer
      Rich Schemmer Error Coins & Rich Errors (ON Ebay) A Trusted Name in
      Numismatics & the Error Coin Hobby for over 25 years
    • alscoins
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 14, 2008
        Rich,

        The three dealers you mentioned had tables at the show. I know all of
        them had nothing bad to say about their sales.

        This was one of my best shows. From PNG day to the time I left, I
        received calls to meet with collectors/dealers. There were some nice
        error material available from regular dealers and collectors that I
        was able to acquire.

        I have always considered eBay as a part of the market. Ebay has
        slowed for various reasons. But the error market, in general, is very
        active. Sales at shows and my web have never been better.

        As for the economy, some areas are depressed. Most of the people
        effected have not been buying coins so it has not had an effect on
        the collectible market.

        Rich! Good seeing you again!!!

        Allan
        http://www.alscoins.com