Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: Another Burundi 5 franc

  • jeff ylitalo
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 11 9:57 AM
      Thanks for the comments, Mike.

      --- On Sun, 8/10/08, Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:
      From: Mike Diamond <mdia1@...>
      Subject: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: Another Burundi 5 franc
      To: errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, August 10, 2008, 9:35 PM

      I agree that these look like strike lines. I'd therefore
      characterize the coin as multi-struck, with a planchet temporarily
      embedded in the coin from the beginning of the striking sequence.

      It still doesn't qualify as a die cap as there is no evidence that it
      struck another planchet after initial formation. I have no doubt the
      grading services would call it a die cap, since their use of the term
      is quite indiscriminate.

      I have a double-struck dime that was indented by the same planchet
      during both strikes, with no movement of the planchet between
      strikes. I do not characterize it as a die cap.

      The reeded edge of your coin does show a vertical collar crack.

      --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, jeff ylitalo
      <jylitalo@.. .> wrote:

      > I've loaded up three more pic's which are a closer look at the area
      I called the wall, where the petals start to take form. Here are
      obvious, multiple strike lines. If they are are not separate strike
      lines, what are they? If they are authentic strike lines, then the
      coin was simply multi-struck, but was never a die-cap?

      > Also, where the reeded edge lies, there is raised, thick line of
      metal. Not sure what this indicates, maybe a collar cud?