Another Burundi 5 franc

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
      This coin appears to be a die cap that lasted AT LEAST 2-3 strikes. As
      you said jeff, the aluminum is soft and the cap started to disintegrate
      before falling off.
    • jylitalo
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
        I like the term, 'lasted' as you said Mark.

        Thanks :^)

        Jeff

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc"

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 10, 2008
          It was certainly struck twice. The face struck by the anvil die
          bears two clear die-struck impressions. The face struck by the
          hammer die shows a large indent, which may have been present through
          both strikes. I wouldn't call it a die cap, though. For one thing,
          there was too much movement between strikes and secondly, there is
          quite a bit of die-struck design on the hammer die face.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "jylitalo"
          <jylitalo@...> wrote:

          > (Uploaded 3 x pic's to default folder)
          >
          > Another Burundi 5 francs, this one has expanded well beyond the
          > diameter of a Morgan silver dollar. Just because it is big, we
          cannot
          > take for granted that supporting evidence is present to establish
          this
          > one as a die-cap, so here are a few observations.
          >
          > There is some progressive walling. I do see what appears to be
          > additional strike lines along the surface of the wall which is built
          > from the obverse face downward to the spreading petals.
          >
          > The reverse face is again obliterated. I don't think aluminum alloys
          > hold up well enough after successive poundings to preserve any
          > enlarged or expanding die design, (if there was any design in the
          > first place where the indented region is located).
          >
          > The coin has been struck at least twice with enough die design
          present
          > to support a double strike.
          >
          > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, jeff ylitalo
          > <jylitalo@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks guys.
          > >
          > > I've another which I feel is an actual die-cap. It too may have
          been
          > simply double struck.
          > >
          > > (Perhaps once while confined by the collar and again while out of
          > collar. I will load it up shortly).

        • jeff ylitalo
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 10, 2008
            I've loaded up three more pic's which are a closer look at the area I called the wall, where the petals start to take form. Here are obvious, multiple strike lines. If they are are not separate strike lines, what are they? If they are authentic strike lines, then the coin was simply multi-struck, but was never a die-cap?

            Also, where the reeded edge lies, there is raised, thick line of metal. Not sure what this indicates, maybe a collar cud?

            Thanks.

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 10, 2008
              I agree that these look like strike lines. I'd therefore
              characterize the coin as multi-struck, with a planchet temporarily
              embedded in the coin from the beginning of the striking sequence.

              It still doesn't qualify as a die cap as there is no evidence that it
              struck another planchet after initial formation. I have no doubt the
              grading services would call it a die cap, since their use of the term
              is quite indiscriminate.

              I have a double-struck dime that was indented by the same planchet
              during both strikes, with no movement of the planchet between
              strikes. I do not characterize it as a die cap.

              The reeded edge of your coin does show a vertical collar crack.

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 11, 2008
                Thanks for the comments, Mike.