Burundi 5 franc

  • jylitalo
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 8, 2008
      (Uploaded 4 x pics to default folder)

      I didn't have an off-center coin which also served as a die-cap, but I
      am hoping I scored one finally with this Burundi 5 franc coin.

      While it is aluminum and explains the brittle appearances, it was
      struck at least twice when viewing either face. The reverse face is
      largely obliterated, but you can still see two clear strikes. The
      indented region on the reverse had given me hope that the coin could
      have been a die-cap, but now that I have it I am not entirely certain.

      Even if it is only multi-struck and off-center error, I didn't have
      one of those either. The twenty bucks I paid was worth the mystery.

      Thanks.
    • Marc
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 8, 2008
        Looks like the first strike might have been through the feeder finger
        due to the shape of the indent, or something else...the 2nd strike more
        off center on the first DSBS. It doesn't look like any type of capped
        die error to me though. Still a very nice find, Jeff, even if I'm wrong
        on the diagnosis.
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
          I see no evidence that this coin was ever a die cap. The first strike
          is off-center, fully die-struck on one face and with an "internal"
          indent or strike-thru on the opposite face. The second strike is more
          off-center and is die-struck on both faces.

          It does present an interesting appearance.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "jylitalo"
          <jylitalo@...> wrote:

          > (Uploaded 4 x pics to default folder)
          >
          > I didn't have an off-center coin which also served as a die-cap, but I
          > am hoping I scored one finally with this Burundi 5 franc coin.
          >
          > While it is aluminum and explains the brittle appearances, it was
          > struck at least twice when viewing either face. The reverse face is
          > largely obliterated, but you can still see two clear strikes. The
          > indented region on the reverse had given me hope that the coin could
          > have been a die-cap, but now that I have it I am not entirely certain.
          >
          > Even if it is only multi-struck and off-center error, I didn't have
          > one of those either. The twenty bucks I paid was worth the mystery.
          >
          > Thanks.

        • jeff ylitalo
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
            Thanks guys.

            I've another which I feel is an actual die-cap. It too may have been simply double struck.

            (Perhaps once while confined by the collar and again while out of collar. I will load it up shortly).

            Jeff

          • jylitalo
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
              (Uploaded 3 x pic's to default folder)

              Another Burundi 5 francs, this one has expanded well beyond the
              diameter of a Morgan silver dollar. Just because it is big, we cannot
              take for granted that supporting evidence is present to establish this
              one as a die-cap, so here are a few observations.

              There is some progressive walling. I do see what appears to be
              additional strike lines along the surface of the wall which is built
              from the obverse face downward to the spreading petals.

              The reverse face is again obliterated. I don't think aluminum alloys
              hold up well enough after successive poundings to preserve any
              enlarged or expanding die design, (if there was any design in the
              first place where the indented region is located).

              The coin has been struck at least twice with enough die design present
              to support a double strike.

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, jeff ylitalo

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                This coin appears to be a die cap that lasted AT LEAST 2-3 strikes. As
                you said jeff, the aluminum is soft and the cap started to disintegrate
                before falling off.
              • jylitalo
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                  I like the term, 'lasted' as you said Mark.

                  Thanks :^)

                  Jeff

                  --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc"

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 10, 2008
                    It was certainly struck twice. The face struck by the anvil die
                    bears two clear die-struck impressions. The face struck by the
                    hammer die shows a large indent, which may have been present through
                    both strikes. I wouldn't call it a die cap, though. For one thing,
                    there was too much movement between strikes and secondly, there is
                    quite a bit of die-struck design on the hammer die face.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 10, 2008
                      I've loaded up three more pic's which are a closer look at the area I called the wall, where the petals start to take form. Here are obvious, multiple strike lines. If they are are not separate strike lines, what are they? If they are authentic strike lines, then the coin was simply multi-struck, but was never a die-cap?

                      Also, where the reeded edge lies, there is raised, thick line of metal. Not sure what this indicates, maybe a collar cud?

                      Thanks.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 10, 2008
                        I agree that these look like strike lines. I'd therefore
                        characterize the coin as multi-struck, with a planchet temporarily
                        embedded in the coin from the beginning of the striking sequence.

                        It still doesn't qualify as a die cap as there is no evidence that it
                        struck another planchet after initial formation. I have no doubt the
                        grading services would call it a die cap, since their use of the term
                        is quite indiscriminate.

                        I have a double-struck dime that was indented by the same planchet
                        during both strikes, with no movement of the planchet between
                        strikes. I do not characterize it as a die cap.

                        The reeded edge of your coin does show a vertical collar crack.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 11, 2008
                          Thanks for the comments, Mike.